Pics of my 29Gallon and Homemade Stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2_Crazy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here are 3 pics of my 29Ga Tank and homemade stand. I made the stand out of pine and stained it over the weekend. The Tank is now running and tonight I'm off to the lfs for some live plants. Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• dec_6_001_edited.jpg
    dec_6_001_edited.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 65
  • dec_6_003_edited.jpg
    dec_6_003_edited.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 88
  • dec_6_004_edited.jpg
    dec_6_004_edited.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 93
:eek2: That is BEAUTIFUL!!! Very nice job. If you don't mind my asking, how much did it cost you to build? (if you do mind, you don't have to answer that)

Very impressive stand...congrats!

By any chance, did you chronicle your work via photo's? We (AA) have a section in the Product Reviews for great DIY jobs like yours. :)

*The tank is great as well.

oh my god--norm abrams (sp?) has joined AA!!!!! ;):):)

that's really nice work! can't wait to see the tank as it starts to develop!

Well done, I also enjoy woodworking, and I find often that its hard to take pictures in the middle of construction. I'm hoping to start building a new stand myself once I have shop space again. If anyone ever has any woodworking questions please dont hesitate to ask. I'll try to answer them as best I can.

A few questions for you u2;

Does the stand have an open back?
Did you use laminated boards for the side or plywood?
Why did you choose to use a traditional style hinge instead of a blind or 'european' cabinet hinge?

How did you frame the cabinet carcass to withhold the weight of the tank/water?
Did you put in a center support IE no shelves left side, (room for canister filter) 2 shelves on the right (for food test kits etc)

If you wouldn't mind taking more pictures that would be great!

Wow, Thanks for all the great responses. So many questions, I'll try and answer all of them.

First of all, Total materials was about $100 Canadian. It took about 12 hours of construction time and 3 hours total sanding and finishing.

I can't take all of the credit though, I have a very handy Father in Law how helped, guided, and had all the right tools (table saw, Router, Air Nailer). But with a helpful person like him, it was really a fun project.

The design is pretty basic. We bought 3 - 8' x 16" Pine planks.
We ripped some of the Pine into 2" widths to use for our doors, Supports and trim pieces. The rest we left 16" to get the deepest we could.

- The sides are top to bottom 30" x 16" panels of Pine.
- The Back is just 1/4" board (like most furniture, can't remember the name)
- The hinges we choose because we didn't have enough just inside the door to attach a hidden hinge.
- The inside is as the pictures show, 2 centre supports, 1 Shelf

Here are some extra pics, thanks for all the positive feedback. And sorry, but we didn't take any pics as we built it.

Attachments

• dec_7_001_edited.jpg
    dec_7_001_edited.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 41
  • dec_7_002_edited.jpg
    dec_7_002_edited.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 35
  • dec_7_004.jpg
    dec_7_004.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 32
Wow! I've built one myself, but it is nothing compared to yours. Yours looks as if you payed at least 400$ for it, very professional looking! Great design, ok, I start drooling.... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom