Pictorial spread on growing algae for your Otos.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyMamma

Aquarium Advice Freak
Credit to various forum members on AA and elsewhere for these ideas. I just compiled them into a How-to photo essay.

This won't apply to everyone, but it's worth sticking in the back of your mind just in case:

Otos and other algae eaters sometimes run out of algae to eat (because YOU are doing such an awesome job of balancing your aquarium's lighting, ferts, and CO2!).

What to do before using back-up algae wafers? Make your OWN algae outside your tanks. Here's how:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425136226.410757.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425136250.321084.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425136276.018782.jpg

And added this morning:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425136295.944242.jpg

Thoughts? Helpful? Should I do more of these pictorial How-to's for the visual learners out there?

~ Sent via Carrier Goldfish

I think you should. I'm not a visual learner, but it's great to have pictures. This is a good guide.

I love pictures! This is actually really helpful for someone like me.

The only thing I would suggest is a picture of what the final product is supposed to look like. If this is my first time, I'm not going to know what I'm supposed to have created and idk, what if I messed up and made poison wafers and killed them all?! @__@
Bit extreme, I know, but I know it's exactly what I would think lol

I'll get the final product up as soon as I get it! Just put them together yesterday.

~ Sent via Carrier Goldfish

The only issue I see is in the first pic some of the letters are hard to see because of the lighting but other than that 10/10

Sent from peliper

My Oto, Frank, actually died before he could enjoy the algae ball farm. :( I am wondering if he starved to death! It keeps getting reported that they don't/can't eat much in transit and that because most are wild-caught, that could be a ways from the U.S. He wasn't plump, perhaps a little skinny even during the one day he lived. He certainly ate at the walls and moved well while I had him (24 hours?). But there isn't any visible algae in the tank (unless the black leaves are algae, but I removed them already anyway.) I DID have a little glass dish with algae wafers and a couple of Ken's mini veggie sticks with calcium in them. It's possible Frank did not recognize them as food in time! :(

After my algae balls are going strong I may try again with three Otos. I want to make sure that I can feed them plenty of their preferred natural food first!

Keeping my sleeves wet...
Sent via Carrier Goldfish

I think this is a cool idea. Both the growing of your own algae and the pictorial. What kind of ferts would you need to start off? Also, sorry about you Oto. :(

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm very much a big picture person, so I don't have any order what ferts or with what %. I just squirted in a little of everything that I put in my tank and added a pinch of food. Basically exactly what we should NOT do in our tanks! :)

Ruby - just a few days in a sunny window, supposedly. I don't get a lot of direct sun, just some. My window is also not particularly insulated (old house), so chill may slow down growth in MY case. You may have better luck.

Back
Top Bottom