Pictus Cat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a pictus that was very active, but now all he does is hide in the rock cave in the tank. My pleco, who is much larger, also lives in there. The pleco harasses the pictus merciously trying to chase him out of the cave. They are in a 55g tank. I don't know why the pictus is all of the sudden staying in the cave and I worry about how much the pleco chases him. Do I have a problem?:fish2:

Do you only have the 1 pictus? They prefer to be in groups.

What type of pleco do you have? Many will outgrow your tank size.

Is it a common pictus? (the silver, spotted kind)
They do prefer to be in small groups, but it depends on the personality of the fish. If it's hiding and the pleco is harassing it make sure they both have their own cave to hide in. You could also rearrange the decorations so they'll re-establish new territories. Pictus cats ARE territorial :>

The pictus is a common silver and black and likewise the pleco is a common pleco. I do know how big the pictus and the pleco will get. I also have a bala shark and 4 gouramis. Actually most of the fish in my 55g will get 6" up. Yes I know that I will need to get a larger tank in the future. How soon depends on how fast they grow. Anyway, I will get at least one for pictus and see if that helps. Thanks for the help.

the common pleco will get to be 1-2 feet easily and they require at the least a 125G and some people will say otherwise. IMO you should rehome him.

No problem, and good luck with your pictus cat! They are my favorite fish, although I haven't had a common one in a while. Pictus cats don't get too big (mine got like 6") so you could put 1-2 more in there and it would be fine, as long as you're planning on upgrading the pleco eventually, which it sounds like you are. :>

Yes I know that I will need to get a larger tank in the future. How soon depends on how fast they grow.

That's not really the best way to look at it. You should always attempt to purchase fish that will fit your tank at their adult size. There are two main reasons for this. The first being that the fish could suffer from stunted growth in a smaller environment than it requires. The second is that sometimes life gets in the way and that larger tank never gets bought. In today's economy, that's especially true. Good intentions are just that, good intentions.

The first thing we learn in this hobby is that it's not about us, it's about the fish.

I actually really love the pictus and am bummed that, given my existing species, I can't fit a school of them into my largest tank.

Back
Top Bottom