Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2004, 06:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

pictus cat

scientific name: Pimelodus pictus

i was wondering if anyone had some experience with this fish because i really like it, and i was trying to read up on it, but on two different websites, i received conflicting information. on one, it said that the pictus cat would grow to 10 inches and would need a 70 gal+ tank. on the other, it said that the pictus cat would only get to approx. 5 inches, and wouldn't need that big of a tank. so, in your experience, how big have they grown and what size tank would they require. thanks!

Old 07-18-2004, 07:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

They won't get more than 5 inches and a 20 gallon tank is big enough. They're omnivorous, and pretty easy to take care of- do very well in community tanks. So I'd say if your tank is 15-20 gal, go ahead! General rule of thumb is an inch 1/2 of fish per gallon.

Old 07-18-2004, 07:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

great! my next tank (I am hoping) will be a 46 gallon and i was hoping that pictus cat would work, glad to hear they are a good community cat too! thanks so much
Old 07-18-2004, 07:35 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Good Community fish, just make sure they have places to hide, as they are nocturnal. Do best in pairs or groups. The two of mine sit next to each other all day in their log, I think their in love

They'll grow to about 5-6 inches, should have atleast 30 gallons in my opinion. As when they do go out of their hiding spots, the JET around like nothing else! Good luck with them!

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 08:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

what are some other fish that would be good to pair them with in a community tank of about 46 gals?
Old 07-18-2004, 09:07 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

What kind of fish are you looking to keep really ruby? A big school of some tiger barbs would look nice. Perhaps a pair of clown loaches... Or, you could go with a school of rainbowfish, or gouramis. My mind is drawing a blank right now....

Have fun choosing!

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
hmm 46 gallons eh . hmmm. that sounds like a good setup. maybe a few corys in there

im not sure but still ive heard the pictus's are hunters and will eat anything that'll fit in their mouth. but since everyone is sure about this. then its a go .

or like a giant school of neons or something .
Old 07-18-2004, 10:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Endgame319
You could have the pictus cats and some loaches as bottom feeders, a gourami or two, a couple angelfish, and maybe a school of larger tetras or barbs.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to DragonChild Send a message via Yahoo to DragonChild
Just be careful of their barbs and fins, I had mine get tangled up pretty nastily in my net once. They are wonderful fish in my experience, and i love them!

"If you leap before you look, the game will be over before you have even begun to play" Shuten/Anubis

------------------------
40 gallon, freshwater, currently housing pleco, red tailed shark, 1 adult silver mickey mouse platy, 3 platy fry (unsure of colors right now), and 6 ghost shrimp.
Filter is an Aquaclear 200, azoo 6500 air pump, and Hagen heater.
DragonChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 11:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, since they get pretty active when they swim around the tank, i don't want to have any gouramis or oher "quiet" fish because in my experience with a dwarf gourami and my zebra danios, i ended up taking the gourami back because he'd just sit in the corner due to the spaztic nature of those silly danios and i felt sorry for the guy. Also, i wouldn't trust the pictus with those cute little cory's and i don't want to test that either... i'd feel so guilty if the little guys got eaten!

anyway, i was looking at some of the cool plecos (and realizing how expensive even freshwater fish can be...like $120 for the zebra pleco) as well as maybe a cichlid... but i think those guys might need a much bigger tank... not sure. need more research, hehe. but i really like the firemouth cichlid. maybe i could convince my landlord to allow me to have a bigger tank... or maybe i can convert my roommate's room into an awesome aqaurium

BUT... i need the mony first so I am just dreamin for now... yes i realize i am crazy
Old 07-18-2004, 11:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Endgame319
Some of the more peaceful cichlids would fit in that tank, you could have a firemouth, a severum, and a parrot in that tank along with a trio of pictus, but that would be a heavy bio-load. Cichlids are great fish, much more personable than most tropical fish.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:26 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Disregard that 1/2" per gallon and go with aprox of 1" per gallon for your average tropical. For larger bodied fish and messy eaters/poopers such as the Pictus, Goldfish, most Plecos, Oscars ect... You'll want to allow even more than 1 gallon per inch, much more, like as much as 3-4 gal per inch IMO.

ChileRelleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 08:05 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hey

Hey

I currently have 25gal with 2 pictus cats 1 clown pleco and one black Ghost knife.

Having had the pictus for awhile and tried them with different fish my suggestions would be:

Stay away from Tiger barbs. I had a school of 8 with the two pictus for awhile. They eat pictus tail fins sometimes.

Anything small will get eaten. Pictus cats are crazy hunters my two 4 1/2" ones ate 15 feeder minnows in just 3 days. I was hoping the black knife would get one or two but im pretty sure it was all pictus.

Lots of rocks and space.

Good Luck
Old 07-19-2004, 10:30 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

thanks for the advice on who to "house" them with. as for the inch or 1/2 inch per gallon, i try to stick really close to a mix of those perameters, but i clean my tanks about twice a week (10%-20% each time) because i think the fresh water is good for them, plus, i know i wouldn't want poop on my floor
Old 07-19-2004, 11:29 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Also, i wouldn't trust the pictus with those cute little cory's and i don't want to test that either... i'd feel so guilty if the little guys got eaten!
I have had 6 corys and two pictus together for a year, and they haven't bothered a soul. The pictus really are peacful fish, they are just very active after lights out ya know. Check out my sig, I have kept all those fish peacfully together for two years almost, and no bother of the pictus.

You could go chiclids if you want, the pictus would be fine there.

Have fun choosing!

Tags
pictus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com