Pictus Cat - Net Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksfishguy

Aquarium Advice Freak
My neighbor graciously donated his 4-5 inch Pictus Cat to me. Unfortunately, when I used my net to bring him out of the container his pectoral fins got caught. I carefully cut him out but now he has a small piece of net caught on each of his pectoral fins. I would take a picture but he is hiding in a cave. Just imagine a five inch pictus with two little black nets caught on his pectoral fins. The net pieces are not large, maybe a quarter inch diameter.

The net is a Python product. I'm hoping that the water will eventually dissolve the net enough to make it come off. Any thoughts?

Help!

Oh I hope so! I can't say as I've had this experience. He may be able to shake them off hopefully. Poor guy.

I should have not been in such a hurry, I know better than to use a net, but I wasn't thinking. He seems to be adjusting well though. Thanks.

Ouch, I've made that mistake before and my pictus recovered. I hope he manages to scrape the other net off, if so I'm sure he'll be fine. If it doesn't come off in few days you'll probably have to use some very fine scissors and remove it so that it doesn't become embedded.

Don't feel too bad, it's an easy mistake even if you know better (at least, I hope it is...otherwise I'm an idiot as well).

That happened to me too. I was using 2 nets to move my pictus from one tank to another. I had a shrimp net, and a regular net. I was using the standard net to try to get him to go in the shrimp net and my plan was foiled. He was thrashing around like crazy. My honey had to cut him out of the net. I added a little stress coat when I put him back in the tank and he was fine.

Update, as of this morning, the net on his left pectoral fin is still on. I can't tell if he is swimming around like a madman to help get the net off or if this is normal for a pictus. He lays on the bottom for awhile and the goes crazy all over the tank.

Thanks for all you replies.

My pictus act sort of like that normally. They'll sit in their holes under the driftwood for a bit, then come out and do rapid passes around the tank, then go back home.

Update: my pictus finally lost the net on the remaining fin. I'm think he lost a small part of his fin, not sure, can't find the net. He has been acting normally and doing fine.

Thanks everyone!

ksfishguy said:
Update: my pictus finally lost the net on the remaining fin. I'm think he lost a small part of his fin, not sure, can't find the net. He has been acting normally and doing fine.

Thanks everyone!

The fin will grow back eventually. It just may take time. I picked a Dempsey out of a store tank that had frayed fins. A few months later he's fine.

you can't them there whiskers get tangled, the best thing to do is either catch them in a jar or warp the net in a plastic bag witha couple holes to drain water so he doesn't get tangled, just make sure he doesn't slide out lol but it works great lol

Back
Top Bottom