Pictus Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ESeck

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been recently consdering getting 2 Pictus Catfish for my 55 gallon. I've been reading that they will eat smaller fish but i can't seem to get a grasp of what size fish they can and cannot eat. Does anyone keep these fish that can help me out?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've been recently consdering getting 2 Pictus Catfish for my 55 gallon. I've been reading that they will eat smaller fish but i can't seem to get a grasp of what size fish they can and cannot eat. Does anyone keep these fish that can help me out?

They'll eat basically anything under 1 1/2 inches when fully grown. I hated mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

love mine, hides in the daytime in a cave, active at night. everything in my tank is at least 2in so i dont have any issues.

I currently have black phantom tetras but could rehome them if necessary. Also want to add opaline gourami.

Also, can anyone give me experience with size? I've seen maximum sizes of anywhere from 4-10 in. Seems like a wide range.

It's roughly 6 inches.

Mine LOVES veggie wafers and algae wafers. He doesn't bother my other fish either. Active almost 24/7 even when lights are on.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Just to add, I haven't had good luck with pictus cats. I've matched their ideal environment but I suspect my problem was the LFS keeping them in pH 5(possibly lower) water and them not handling the transition well. Best of luck but in two tries I lost both. Just adding my experiences for perspective, don't shop pet smart for them in my experience.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just to add, I haven't had good luck with pictus cats. I've matched their ideal environment but I suspect my problem was the LFS keeping them in pH 5(possibly lower) water and them not handling the transition well. Best of luck but in two tries I lost both. Just adding my experiences for perspective, don't shop pet smart for them in my experience.

Mine actually came from a PetSmart. I acclimated him for about a half hour and he's fine. He's fat because he eats everything he can lol.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Mine actually came from a PetSmart. I acclimated him for about a half hour and he's fine. He's fat because he eats everything he can lol.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

This may only be an issue at my local petsmart. They lease a brand new building in a brand new shopping center and seem to have very strange water parameters. I was buying cichlids and the girl working asked what my pH was, I said 7.8-8, around what they need and she said their water ran around 5.0.

Should i be concerned about the black phantom tetras?

I've never had a problem from mine. Got him from Petsmart and have had him for about 5 months now. He's very active day and night, especially when it's feeding time. I've heard they're very sensitive to water conditions, but I've never had any problems. Good luck! They're wonderful fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I don't remember seeing this in here but don't touch your pictus. They have some sort of "toxin" that is their natural defense system and can cause your hand to swell up like a bee sting. Not much but is easily avoidable.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I'm guessing the toxins are just i their barbs, learned that the hard way from an angry channel cat that stuck me after I caught him, it wasn't pretty and I had to put down the rod for a half hour. I think you'll be fine with tetras and a pictus because tetras are pretty quick and they stay more in the middle then at the bottom. Good luck!

Nils

I'm guessing the toxins are just i their barbs, learned that the hard way from an angry channel cat that stuck me after I caught him, it wasn't pretty and I had to put down the rod for a half hour. I think you'll be fine with tetras and a pictus because tetras are pretty quick and they stay more in the middle then at the bottom. Good luck!

Nils

If they are bigger then 2 inches they should be fine. Almost all tetras get larger than 2 inches. Should be fine.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks for the help all. Probably won't be getting them for a couple weeks but will keep you posted when I do.

Also if you must catch them don't do it with a net. It can damage their pectoral fin.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have three of them and just love them! The only bad experience I had was when I experimented with neon tetra, (the largest I could find). I bought 25 and the next morning I had 8 ? I have gold barbs, black skirts, and red minor tetras now, and they are fine! They can also be quite shy at times, and it's recommended you get three of you have the space. I have three and they're out exploring day and night! I have also used salt to treat for Ich in their tank, and they're not as sensitive as some suggest! I've had these guys since they were babies and now the big guy is maybe almost 5" and the other two are 3"-4" ....hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom