Pictus Catfish and Tiger Barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amcody

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 40 gallon aquarium with 6 tiger barbs, 2 pictus catfish and 1 small pleco. Ammonia 0; Nitrites 0; Nitrates 0-5; pH 7.4. I had the 6 tigers and pleco first, then added 2 pictus. They all did very well with each other for the first week or so. Now the tigers are being unrelenting and constantly nipping at the pictus. I have to keep the lights out all the time so the tigers will back off some. I've read that they should be pretty good with each other but I am now thinking not so much. They've got plenty of caves and hiding spots so unless the tigers think the whole dang tank is theirs I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions? Getting frustrated with the tigers and really want to get rid of them but don't have the heart to.

That's just what tiger barbs do. The larger the group and odd numbers of them help but they will still nip pretty much anything in the tank

Ok do you think if I add more tigers to the tank they might leave the pictus alone or just add more stress to the pictus with more bullies?

They might they might not. The only fish I've consistently seen them leave alone are my gourami or my big red tail shark other than that they can just be a holes

Lol I've noticed that a lot recently! Thanks though!

Back
Top Bottom