Pictus Catfish Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JM

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got 2 Four-Stripe Pictus Catfish. They are about 3 inches long each. I was just lookin for some info about them because I have research a little bit, but i am getting a lot of conflicting information. Such as size, water temp, food, and behavior. Can someone give me some answers please or tell me about some good online caresheets? I want to get two Spotted Pictus also, but not till i find out more. Thanx for replies in advance.

Does anyone else have this type of catfish??? If so what do you feed yours?

here is some info on the spotted pictus cats. I am going to look some more for info on the striped ones, but I believe they require very similar environments. Hope you have a big enough tank!

Pictus Cat
(Pimelodus pictus)
Quick Stats
Minimum Tank Size: 70 gallons
Care Level: Easy
Tank Conditions: 75-81°F; pH 7.0-7.5; dH 5.8-6.8
Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 10"
Color Form: Black, Silver
Temperament: Peaceful
Diet: Omnivore
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: South America
Family: Pimelodidae

The Pictus Cat is part of the antenna catfishes and usually has a pale to gray body with a black spotted pattern. The pectoral fins are serrated, so it is recommended that a glass bowl or cup be used to capture the fish rather than a net.

As one of the more peaceful fish that adds beauty to your aquarium, the Pictus Cat can be housed with any soft water tank mate. Tanks with dim light that are heavily planted are ideal for this fish. Rocks, caves, and driftwood also aid in providing an optimal environment for the Pictus Cat. In the wild, this fish grows a bit larger than in the aquarium setting, but a minimum of 70 gallons is recommended for proper housing.

These fish are an egg-laying catfish that are very difficult to breed in an aquarium setting.

The Pictus Cat will feed on left over flake food that accumulates at the bottom of the tank. In addition, small live food and sinking catfish pellet food should be provided for complete nutrition.

btw... I got that info from liveaquaria.com and while they are expensive, they know their fish :)

Is this your fish? Google Search pictures of the scientific name to know for sure

Mystus vittatus (Bloch, 1794)
Common Name Asian Striped Catfish
Type Locality Tranquebar, Tamil Nadu, India.
Pronunciation MIST uss - vee TATT uss
Etymology The generic name is probably derived from the Latin mystax, meaning moustache, in reference to the long barbels. It was first used by Scopoli in 1777 making it a very old genus that has included many catfishes from throughout the world at one time or another. From the Latin vittatus, meaning decorated with a ribbon; in reference to the striped pattern of the fish.
Species Information
Size
210mm (8.4") SL

Notes on ID Easily distinguished by the presence of 4-5 pale blue to brown longitudinal stripes on the body, the presence of the humeral spot, and a moderately long adipose fin.
Sexing Males have an elongate genital papilla in front of the anal fin.
Habitat Information
Distribution Indian subcontinent, including Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh and probably Myanmar.
Temperature
22 - 28°C

pH
6 - 7.4

"Furniture" The tank should be furnished with ample driftwood and rocks.
Husbandry
Feeding Easily adapts to a wide variety of frozen and prepared food in the aquarium. May eat very small fish.
Compatibility Compatible with most fishes, although very small fishes will be eaten. Ideal tankmates include larger barbs and rasboras in an Asian biotope setup.
This species is not overtly territorial, so more than one can be kept together.
Breeding Not reported.
Further Information
Cool Links - Show thumbnails of all species of Mystus
- Search Planet Catfish for Mystus vittatus
Offsite Resources - Email this page to a friend
- Look up Mystus vittatus on Fishbase
- Search the Web for Mystus vittatus
- Print Thumbnails and Data

No the scientific name is Pimelodus blochii, it has no common name listed, but i have heard it called 4-line pictus or 4-striped pictus. It is closely related to Pimelodus Pictus or commonly Spotted Pictus. They are from south america.

yeh, I can definatly be more help now that I have the scientific name... as for the spotted pictus, I already posted some good info about them so you'll know in the future if you decide on getting them :D

I have 3 spotted pictus cats in my 75 gallon. My pH is 7.6, temp ranges from 76-78 (living in Florida, room temp is usually good). They eat just about anything, and I feed a variety of foods and occasional veggies like zucchini, broccoli or cucumber. Mine seem quite happy, they're pretty active fish but do provide some hiding places for them.

I have two pictus cats in my tank. They are my favorite fish. Like little sharks they devour anything that hits the bottom. They are really active. They chase eachother in like a circle dance all day long.

Back
Top Bottom