Pictus cats flipping out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ywagner

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have 2 pictus cats, 3-4 inches in a 20 gallon with a couple of SA cichlids, every so often when I feed the cats will flip out and do all kinds of crazy flips and turns, and overall spaz out. Besides this strange behavior, they seem to be normal. What's wrong with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They're probably saying.. "this is my food!!! Come at me bro!!!"
I wouldn't think it to be all that out of the ordinary, especially given the fact they are in such a small tank.. i won't preach but you may want to consider different stock or a larger tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ya I could move them to a bigger tank but they would get eaten by bigger fish :p

Ya I could move them to a bigger tank but they would get eaten by bigger fish :p

That's no good, from what I understand it seems they are extremely active and get pretty big themselves?? Cool looking fish!

I was just looking at some yesterday, beautiful fish but a bit too active for me.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

They can smell the food you are putting into the tank, mine use to do that as well...do you have sinking pellets for the pictus? And when do you feed the pictus?

I use sinking pellets for my guys, and I usually put them in the tank after lights out. I never see them eat

I use floating pellets about twice a day for these guys

I use floating pellets about twice a day for these guys

These fish are bottom feeders and get really large, thicker and longer, I have seen one about 6" long. One site says a 70G tank because they are normally a very active fish.

Why are you feeding floating pellets?

Because they eat them and are fine with it...

Because they eat them and are fine with it...

Maybe if you put something right in their wheelhouse they'd skip the whole mid water freak out?? Really makes no sense bringing a creature out of its comfort zone to eat??

Hmm maybe, but the only thing is that they are usually comfortable cruising around the tank and don't usually hide. I have two in the same tank and only one of them does the weird spinout thing so I don't know

I think it is normal behavior, I'm thinking you should try se sinking pellets for them. They may be freaking out bc they aren't eating enough (do you see them eat?)

I only suggest this bc mine use to freak out like this when I first got them, every time I feed my other fish. They stopped this once they knew they got fed at night and always have access to food...

I also cut back on my cichlid food and add extra pellets for the catfish bc I know my jack eats some of theirs and everyone is happy

Okay, I do see them eat, but sounds like general consensus is sinking pellets, I'll have to check them out!

I like Hikari omnivore sinking wafers has an orangeish color on the package with a Cory cat on the front. Used to have a few bottom feeders on the package.

Back
Top Bottom