Pimafix / melafix - danger to labyrinth fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the posts - keep them coming :) In more reading it seems that people have noticed a trend where people that half dosed didn't have so many problems. Similar to scaleless fish perhaps and other meds.

This kind of matches my own experience now where I tend to half or lightly dose on day one and then again on day 3 and see what happens. To date the fish has either recovered or it's been a severe infection. Some of the fish that recovered were part of a pattern so I was happy it was working.

In other posts it was rated equivalent to salt (like a tonic).

I have come across references to a link on this with labyrinth fish but still searching :( The internet - possible to find everything and nothing at the same time .

Day 3 of treatment, it passed. The fish was swimming around fine and eating well. The tail rot wasn't that bad, but thought I would hit it on the head before it got worse. I quarantined the fish and followed the instructions to the letter of Pimafix. Day 2 I noticed he looked a bit funny, loss of colour and not swimming actively, I should of taken him out then, day 3 he looked terrible, so I took him out and put him back in the main tank. He passed a couple hrs later. The qt tank was filled with the main tanks water and the small filter was taken from main tank ( I leave it in there to keep BB ). Apart from the tail rot, the fish was fine, eating, swimming actively. I should of taken him out of the qt sooner.

Well, that reads okay. My neons tail rot wasn't advanced, just showing around the edges. Can't see another reason for his passing. Thanks for the info Mebbid, interesting read. Maybe melafix might of been better, I will try that first if any of my other fish are unfortunate enough to have it, as I still think the other caused its death.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/aquariummedication4.html

All I could find. I don't have a clue where I found the other post but this is the best article I've seen on it to date.

Thanks for this - it's a good read. I found the patent application and read through that. I couldn't find bettas mentioned in it but from reading other posts I gather API did more work (eg pencil fish) as concerns were raised.

Some concerns related to oils on the water surface. Possible I guess although it was mentioned emulsifiers were added to deal with this.

Other concerns were convulsions - hard to say if that is really betta specific.

I guess my final thought was that all meds are really trying to kill an infection before the infection/med kills your fish. It was depressing reading how low the success rate is. I think that although these are natural products they are still meds after all. My impression is light dosing works better (as less risk to your fish anyways :) ). Use very carefully where dosed. Thanks for the posts.

Back
Top Bottom