Pink water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danielthorne198

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all! I've just joined this forum today.
We bought a second hand tank. We began cycling the water on Monday. We added the blue salt according to the directions. And for 2 days the water was blue. It has now turned pink. Very very pink haha. We wanted to add the fish today but we want to know if anyone knows what could be causing this before we do add any fish...
We've researched what the cause could be and we didn't find anything ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411170684.684954.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is this supposed to be a freshwater or saltwater tank? Also, please don't add fish. Cycling a tank from scratch takes a month or so. Please read the article about cycling on this site.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm not familiar with blue salt. What is it supposed to do? If you're going to cycle the tank you really should get a test kit for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. And a source of ammonia unless you're going to do a fish – in cycling.

Is this supposed to be a freshwater or saltwater tank? Also, please don't add fish. Cycling a tank from scratch takes a month or so. Please read the article about cycling on this site.

A tank can be easily and safely cycled with fish in. There's nothing wrong with doing it either way, however the fish in cycling is a bit more work.

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice
or
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

What was this blue salt you added into the tank?

I think cycling may have been the wrong choice of words haha
We just wanted to run the water through the filter for a week before we added fish.
This is the salt we addImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411175111.775209.jpg

A tank can be easily and safely cycled with fish in. There's nothing wrong with doing it either way, however the fish in cycling is a bit more work.

I know about fish in cycling, I just didn't want OP to go get fish, not know exactly what a cycle was, and then end up with dead fish.

I see. I'm not a big fan of salt because you will have to keep on adding it if you want to stay consistent with it. Not saying it is bad to use it (well, yes for certain fish) but i choose not to.
Since you are doing a fish in cycle, please follow the link previously posted about Cycling.

I would honestly do a 100% water change and not use those conditioning salts. All you need is a dechlorinator such as prime. The conditioning salt is used to drop your ph and doesnt actually dechlorinate or detoxify heavy metals.

I know about fish in cycling, I just didn't want OP to go get fish, not know exactly what a cycle was, and then end up with dead fish.

I was adding the links for the ops benefit.

As for letting the water sit for a week... theres really no reason to do that.

Back
Top Bottom