Piranha question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayrod

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im new here, so please don't let this post upset you.
I noticed the other day that Walmart sells a fish that resembles a Pirahna. I was wondering if this can be confirmed. And, where can i purchase a Piranha in Florida.

what they sell is pacu. they get to large for most aquariums sold.

are piranhas even legal there? what size tank do you have? they are very over rated fish.

Welcome to AA.

Welcome to the site Jay. Pacu are most likely as MG said and get WAAAAAY too big for most aquariums.

both are too small for piranhas. they are schooling fish that get over a foot big.

As a former Floridian I know that piranha are in fact illegal. Too many people have turned them lose in the waterways and they became a problem with the native wildlife like the manatee. When I was growing up there in the 70's early 80's (Eeeeeeeesh that's sad. I can even remember when Bon Jovi did a free concert at the Bandshell on Daytona Beach for Spring Break) they had a few attacks in the Halifax river and St Johns because of people letting them lose. They imposed the ban in the mid to later 70's.

Agreed with the others that what you see in the stores are Pacu, an overly sold fish that gets far bigger than the tanks they are normally put in.

Thank you guys. I appologize for my missing knowledge in the fish section. Hey, Im learning.

No apologies needed Jay. We all start off sometime. You did much better than alot of us by asking about a fish BEFORE you bought it so I say good job! :)

i agree with HN..... nothing wrong with asking. we all started somewhere and the laws are often hard to know exactly whats legal or not at times.

i have a 75 gal and it has a pacu in it and it is 10 in long. im going to have to get rid of it soon

I'm surprised they still sell them. I remember in high school there was a 55g tank in a class room with one Pacu and the poor thing could barely turn around in it. They get HUGE!!!

Back
Top Bottom