Piranha questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lareland

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,
I was wondering what you guys would recommend for piranhas. I would be getting a new tank since I don't have an open tank at the moment. I knew a guy who had an amazing piranha tank and it really makes me want one. It doesn't matter to me if it's a schooling piranha or more of a solitary one. I may actually prefer a solitary fish so I don't have to get such a huge tank. I was thinking maybe a sanchezi because they don't get as big and I love the way they look. But really have no clue. So let me know what you think on species, minimum tank size, how many, and filtration because I know they need a lot more. Also if you guys have experience with piranha what was the best diet for your fish?

Anything helps, thanks for your input.

Oh and I've also heard when that a school of small and very quick fish would be alright with larger piranha. I realize sooner or later they will be a snack but with sufficient hiding places would they survive long enough with a large piranha to be worth it? Because I really think a school of zebra danio or neon tetras would look great in a planted aquarium with a big piranha.

These fish are shoaling fish and should not really be kept individually, that not to say you couldn't but your fish would
be far more happier with other piranha's, as for keeping with those types of fish the answer from me is a definite no no! Have had friends that have found this out the hard way where there piranhas have got peckish and torn to shreds everything in the tank, this is just my personal opinion and through friends experience who kept them for absolute years so please any one else feel free to give your opinion

They also need lots of filtration. Very messy fish. Very nervous sometimes as well. Best in groups. Single fish may bash themselves up if startled.

Not legal in my state, but I've seen some.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay thanks guys! Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated

Not all piranha species are best kept in groups, black piranhas get huge and are best kept alone. I know there are more but it's been a while since I had my rbp's so your best bet is to research a little more.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could always try exodon paradoxous (buck tooth tetra). The YouTube videos make them look quite predatory. They aren't as large as adult piranha and you can get a school of them. I saw some at a LPS last weekend. They looked really cool.

Back
Top Bottom