Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-04-2005, 07:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pitbull pleco in groups?

Are pitbull plecos doing better in groups/pairs/alone?

Has anyone experience with them and can tell me if I will see them at all during the day? I have a densely planted 70gal with black gravel. Will that help so they'll come out during the day somewhat? Or are they more like hamster and don't want to be disturbed during the day?

Sorry, if the last question sound a little ignorant, but I've never had a pleco, only Amano Shrimps .

Old 10-04-2005, 07:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine are everywhere, not as shy as some of my other plecos. I only have two of them in a 30g tank but they should be kept in groups. They are very docile. Here is what planetcatfish says.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...toci/236_f.php

Old 10-04-2005, 08:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I had no idea they liked to be in groups. My little guy has been kicking around in the tank for over two years. There are other dwarf plecos in there, but no pitbulls.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 08:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm having trouble finding more in my area to increase my numbers so my two hang out with a baby bristlenose.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to megladonsharky Send a message via MSN to megladonsharky Send a message via Yahoo to megladonsharky
They are almost all wild caught and should be avail this and next month in lfs ... This is what I was told by lfs that is good ...

Yes they like groups but do fine alone

3-4 gallon with 80gph ... Planted lightly three white clouds ( Birtha Clara and Delila) and some snails (mainly melodys snacks)

9 gallon with 130gph , heated with male betta (Trafalger RIP)Kaden ( a male betta)has moved in, pygmy cory (MaMa) , pitbull pleco(Metal), three preacox rainbows( Annabel, Glitter and Mondo) and various snails...
megladonsharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 04:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you all very much! You think a group of 3 would be ok for a 70 gal? I also would like to add some Amano Shrimp. Has anybody experience with pleco and Shrimps? Do they get along well?
Old 10-05-2005, 05:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to megladonsharky Send a message via MSN to megladonsharky Send a message via Yahoo to megladonsharky
three would be good ... five would also be good... shrimp they ma mistake for food..

3-4 gallon with 80gph ... Planted lightly three white clouds ( Birtha Clara and Delila) and some snails (mainly melodys snacks)

9 gallon with 130gph , heated with male betta (Trafalger RIP)Kaden ( a male betta)has moved in, pygmy cory (MaMa) , pitbull pleco(Metal), three preacox rainbows( Annabel, Glitter and Mondo) and various snails...
megladonsharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't worry about them bothering your shrimp. They are a very peaceful pleco. I don't keep my pitbulls with shrimp but I do keep other small species of plecos with ghost shrimp and have never had a problem with them bothering the shrimp. Also, in a tank that size, I would go for five. They take prepared foods eagerly. Mine love squash, melon, shrimp pellets and algae wafers.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Cindy, that was what I was wondering about. The Amanos are quite "large" shrimp and the plecos quite "small".

I will call my lfs on Monday and order pitbull plecos, a female dwarf gourami (they only had males), and some amanos.

Can't wait...

Tags
pleco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com