Plain salt instead of aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m.j.gomez

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, as we all know the prices of all things in this hobby has gone up drastically. So most of us are looking for alternatives & still be able to take proper care of our pets. I greatly value the opinion of this group to make my decision.
I saw on YouTube that a guy was using plain salt instead of aquarium for several years. He claimed that the anticaking agents were same as kosher salt which is also used in hobby & so minute as to not have any affects on fish.
Pros= 54¢ a pound at local Walmart. Instead of 3-5$ elsewhere.
Cons= cyanide based anticaking agents.
I've had most of my pets for 5+years & would hate to lose any due to trying to pinch a penny but I feel that the money could be used elsewhere to better the hobby.
I'd like to know if anyone has tried, currently using or just your thoughts on this subject.
Thank you!!!!!View attachment 323781View attachment 323783View attachment 323784Screenshot_20220731-103500.jpg
View attachment 323787View attachment 323788View attachment 323789

You might look further into the choices for plan salt. There are Kosher salts with no anti-caking agents. I am not sure of all kinds, but definitely there are much more value cost salt options. I have mostly used plain Kosher salt, sometimes branded Aquarium salt, but that was usually when I got it on clearance or sale for a cheap price, or a bundle from a fellow aquarist shutting down an excess collection, or tank.

The main issue is for sure not using a salt with iodine, and the anti-caking agents could do something off in the water, so I would stay away from it.

Back
Top Bottom