Plan of Attack - Bumblebee Gobies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cynic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all :)

So my LFS has recently got in some Bumblebee Gobies and I think I'm smitten :flowers:

However I'm at least experienced enough to do some research and prepare before buying any fish so just thought I'd run my plan of attack by the community to see if anyone can pick holes in it before I make a mistake and risk hurting the poor little things...

Step 1. Confirm that the Bumblebee Gobies for sale are Brachygobius Xanthozona and as such capable of surviving in freshwater.

Step 2. Purchase 10-12 of the little cuties :flowers:

Step 3. Setup Quarantine Tank 40G (Heater - 25 degrees, PH 7.0, Clean Water, Unseeded HOB filter)

Step 4. Drip acclimatize fish

Step 5. Quarantine for 4 weeks slowly raising the temperature to 28 degrees

Step 6. Add Bumblebee Gobies to 55G Discus tank

Now some points...

1. I don't have a seeded HOB filter to add straight to the quarantine tank and I will be away for the weekened. Is this enough time for ammonia to build up to a dangerous level? It'll be 48 hours between water changes.

2. Has anyone ever kept bumblebees with discus? I know they're nippy fish but being bottom dwellers I believe that the two species should be fine...(Nothing like using the word believe to convey confidence)

3. Apparently feeding bumblebee gobies is a bit of an art, all I have food wise is frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, flakes and sinking pellets. If I can't obtain live food should I abort?

Thanks in advance :)

tumblr_mbp99hkjAD1qaczp1o1_500.jpg

48 hours is enuff time for ammonia buildup i wouldnt personally add that many fish to an uncycled tank do u have another cycled tank u can get some filter substrate from? know little about the fish itself tho

Well, all bumblebee gobies are brackish, actually.

Correct, but Brachygobius xanthozona will tolerate fresh water well enough.

48 hours is enuff time for ammonia buildup i wouldnt personally add that many fish to an uncycled tank do u have another cycled tank u can get some filter substrate from? know little about the fish itself tho

Thank you (y) I do have plenty of substrate, however it is sand...is sand porous enough to have bio media on it?

I have kept bumblebee gobies and even had them lay eggs in freshwater(they didn't hatch). I had a large seashell in their tank and they laid eggs inside it. They really are adorable but they sometimes nip my bottom dwellers tails, yet don't do any harm. They should be fine although I would start with a few to see how it goes.

I have kept them and they really are something! My plan of action would be to ask the store for the breeder's info, then you could really know what specie. If you get that many it's possible that they are mixed together and you can hardly tell the breeds apart. Good luck finding out!

Back
Top Bottom