Planning a gift 30g.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strychix

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My boyfriends been very helpful in DIY projects and interested in my aquarium, which has honestly been a very bonding experience. So, I'm planning a 30g just for him. He currently has a clown pleco and a blue crayfish in my 55g, but overall I want to stock his that I'm planning as such, which are all fish he shows interest in:

His Crayfish
Green Phantom Pleco
African Butterfly Fish
Tiger Barbs

Will these get on fine? The crayfish is always a possible issue.

Also, does anyone know where to get an extensive stock of skull and dragon themed decorations? He has a couple skulls in mine and loves dragons so I was going to build on that. For the wood, I was going to use cholia cactus.

The crawfish and pleco will be a problem. Also, tiger barbs sleep vertically at night. Easy prey as well.

Okay would endlers be any better? He has not specifically shown interest in them but they seem to be his style.

I really want to put the crayfish in the 30 gal, it's interesting but it's not my style. Do you think 30 is too small for it to be alright?

Blue Crayfish, Aggressive but delicate creatures

Okay would endlers be any better? He has not specifically shown interest in them but they seem to be his style.

I really want to put the crayfish in the 30 gal, it's interesting but it's not my style. Do you think 30 is too small for it to be alright?

It is suggested to have minimum 25 gallons for a crayfish to enjoy the aquarium. If you are wanting to add more stock than just the crayfish remember the space will be even less.
As far as getting along...my experience with my blue crayfish is that they get along well during times but ultimately they are territorial and will put up a fight. They eat ANYTHING they can get a hold of in their pinchers. At the same time though, when they molt, they are very fragile and it would be wise to make sure that nothing in the tank will be attracted to eating or nibbling on the crayfish. My crayfish got along just fine in my tank, the last time it molted my though, one of my African cichlids decided to nip at it and it seemed to like the taste. Pretty soon in less than 2 minutes the only thing left of the crayfish was the outer shell that it was molting. All of the cichlids got in on the action and made my crayfish fresh sushi, so to speak.

To be on the safe side, a 30 gallon will be ok if it is the crayfish and not much more stock. If you plan on adding more stock now or in the futute, probably better to not put it in there. My two cents from my crayfish experience .

Good luck.

I personally tried having my green phantom with an electric blue cray in a 24

DID NOT WORK OUT

even in a. Larger tank eg. 55 I wouldn't attempt it again

But the phantom in the 30

Put the pleco in there as the only bottom feeder and get a 20 for te cray which will grow to be 6 inches

Alrightie. Separate tanks for the two, especially in a smallish aquarium. Thanks much.

Back
Top Bottom