Plant problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlbinoShark53

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a new plant at the beginning of the month and I just noticed that it's starting to get discolored. I also noticed that some other plants that I've had for a couple months have leaves that are starting to curl up. I don't remember what types of plants these are but I'm concerned that my water conditions are killing the plants. I haven't tested my water in a while. The reason being that I don't have anything to test the water with. Although, I just got some pH test strips but I don't think it's just the pH. Can someone help me?

Sent using Messenger Pigeon

Hello, it's really hard to answer your plant question without a pic at least. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

We need more info:
  1. Light fixture
  2. Tank size
  3. Fertilizers used
  4. How long have you had the plants
  5. Pics

1: regular Light that came with the tank. Lit during the day, off at night

2: 29gal

3: recently used root tabs

4: I've had one kind for a couple months. The other kind, about half a month

5:ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421115232.944472.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421115261.947736.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421115294.449499.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421115321.654428.jpg

It's kinda hard to see in the picture. Sorry for the lack of info. Just kinda freakin out about my whole situation at the moment.

It looks to me like a Pogostemon Helferi and a Lobelia Cardinalis (Cardinal plant) is that right?

If that's the case then your aquarium isn't really suited to house either of them tbh. The cardinal plant needs a bit higher lighting than you have and isn't really an underwater plant. I tried with them and failed miserably before giving up.

The pogostemon helferi is a medium light plant that isn't all that easy to grow.

Just to double check, could you take a picture of the bulbs of the light fixture (preferrably off :lol:)or give us a brand so we can verify the lighting?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421116202.789305.jpg
Now I'm no expert so I need as mush help as I can get, plant wise.

That is a single Aqueon 24" 17W T-8 fluorescent bulb. 8000K color temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok. This would be considered low light for your size tank. What you have is called a T8 florescent light.

Suggestions are crypts, anubias, java fern, wendelov fern, marimo moss balls. Those are all plants that sit in or on the substrate. There are also floating plants such as anacharis and hornwort that can be planted or left to float around in the tank. You will probably need some fertilizers. If this is your only tank you can go with this to start:
http://www.amazon.com/Seachem-Plant...flourish&pebp=1421116525278&peasin=B0002DGNIS

and this:

Amazon.com : Seachem Plant Pack Enhancers, NPK (Box of 3 different 100ml Items) : Aquarium Plant Fertilizers : Pet Supplies

The same company also makes root tablets that you push down into the substrate. The crypts will need those.

Last edited:
In other words your light is not an led. you will need to remember the type T8 and size 24 inch when you go to replace your bulb.

Thank you so much! And since you mentioned it, I just set up another tank with and I need yalls opinion on the plants I have in there. Like I said, I'm not a plant expert so I just picked up some plants that I thought I would try.
This one is 16gal with a layer of fertilizer rocks and the light is 18" 8T W51ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421117073.760467.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421117103.307650.jpg
Sorry for the blurriness.. I have absolutely no idea about that last one..

Last plant on the right, the big one is java fern. Its perfect for the setup you initially mentioned. If you have questions on plants or need plant id's post them under the planted tank forum section. You will get more responses that way.

:)

Oh there are a lot of others on here who are way more helpful. I don't necessarily know the stem plants by sight. I also couldn't explain dry fertilizers to you.

Just curious do you have fish yet? If so what kind?

A lot of guppies and maybe an angel fish. I really haven't figured it all out yet.

Back
Top Bottom