Planted tank build!!!' HELP IS WELCOME

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockyofhockey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all I have a 40 gallon bowfront with low- light. I do not dose Co2 or ferts at this point..? Just letting fish waste as fertilizer. What other plants would be good for my setup?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421346770.015820.jpg
Here is what I have so far
1x giant Anubias
1x Anubias petite
10x anarchis

40 gallon
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco
With live plants in the tank

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

Java fern maybe. Following

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was thinking about that! Thanks for following I'll be posting updates of growth of my tank also. Can someone please inform me on ferts? I'll be loooking to purchase some due to The amount of people I hear use them. but I have no idea what kind to get or anything

40 gallon
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

PPS Pro maybe? I use API leafzone and got tabs in my tank. Thinking of switching to the PPS Pro once this bottle runs out though.

Your Tank

Hello roc...

Any of the mosses like Singapore and Christmas. I like Anubias nana and the bit larger nangi. Hornwort and Brazilian water weed look good on the surface. Any of the dark green aquatic plants will generally require nothing more than low light. No commercial fertilizers are needed, just have a good stock of fish in the tank and feed them a good diet. Large, weekly water changes will help maintain high minerals in the water. The plants will grow better in water that's changed regularly.

B

PPS Pro maybe? I use API leafzone and got tabs in my tank. Thinking of switching to the PPS Pro once this bottle runs out though.

Ok thanks! What is exactly the purpose of ferts? Sorry for the nubby questions haha!

40 gallon
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

Ok thanks! What is exactly the purpose of ferts? Sorry for the nubby questions haha!

40 gallon
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

Ferts are what plants use to grow. If you dont dose enough plants algae may take over.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83826 Have you read through these articles? They helped me alot when I began a few months ago
Everyone needs to start somewhere!

Ferts are what plants use to grow. If you dont dose enough plants algae may take over.

Everyone needs to start somewhere!

Ok so it's basically a fertilizer? How about Co2? Is that a must?

40 gallon
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

Co2 is the carbon source for plants. It(carbon)is one of the nutrients that plants use to grow. When the lights are off plants produce co2, so you don't need co2 but it does help. If you are not sure about using co2 then DIY is a cheap and easy start.

Co2 is the carbon source for plants. It(carbon)is one of the nutrients that plants use to grow. When the lights are off plants produce co2, so you don't need co2 but it does help. If you are not sure about using co2 then DIY is a cheap and easy start.

Thx you have been a ton of help!!! I think I'll just get some ferts and start off with that! Could amazon swords work in my tank?

40 gallon
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

They should. Make sure that you just put the root tabs under them, replace the tabs every 3 months(if you go with Osmocote), and place them in the back of the tank. They can get really big.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421351941.619223.jpg I was thinking about putting it right there it's in the back of the tank and behind a nice rock ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421351988.869135.jpg

40 gallon
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

Another thing, what light are you using?

Double t8

40 gallon
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

You should be fine with the amazon sword. I didn't have mine when I was using a single T8.

You should be fine with the amazon sword. I didn't have mine when I was using a single T8.

For some reason my lid is able to hold 2. So I guess lighting is not a problem?...

40 gallon
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

T8s are typically considered low light. So you should not have a problem with too much light. Too much light will grow algae without sufficient CO2.

Crypts are another good choice. Root tabs are needed also with Crypts. Root feeders like Swords.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

T8s are typically considered low light. So you should not have a problem with too much light. Too much light will grow algae without sufficient CO2.

Crypts are another good choice. Root tabs are needed also with Crypts. Root feeders like Swords.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! I think I might purchase a java fern first and see how things go from there

40 gallon
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

You only need 1 java plant. I got 2 from the petsmart gel packs, and now I have over a dozen individual plants that I have no room for

Back
Top Bottom