Planted tank questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

natedogg569

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How easy is it to do a planted tank? Does it cost alot? What are the benefits?
Anything else you want to add about planted tanks?

Check the link below for some good info on planted tanks ... It just looks like a ton of info. I recommend going with low light plants as they'll require the least maintenance.

Freshwater Aquarium Plant Care; Substrate, Ferts, CO2, and Lighting.

Pay extra attention on the lighting section ... This is the most critical IMO.

The link directly below lists some good low light plants to start off with.
PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

I'll add by saying a planted tank is not as difficult as it will seem at first and the payoff make it so worth the effort.

planted tank are fun.
with imagination, its easy.
the cost depends on how far you will go.
how I see it, it costs more to keep a tank running with all it's hardware but the livestock is less.

Along with the links provided, you can buy some very nice used books about planted tanks and such on Amazon, for literally a few bucks each. They are good to have around as a reference.

I have a planted 220 gallon tank. I actually have a dirted tank which alot of people don't do. I used organic soil, many use Miracle grow organic soil. Then I topped the soil with eco-complete. Organic soil is pretty cheap, Eco-complete is about $25 a bag, unless you can find it for sale (that is a 20 pound bag). Other people can chime in about what substrate they use and cost. The reason I went with a dirted tank is... I have had ponds from about 300 to 2000+ for about 15 years. One thing I learned is that when I had to grow plants in pots to put in the ponds, the plants I potted in soil always grew better, looked better, and flowered better. So after alot of research on using dirt as a substrate in aquariums I decided it would give me the results of plant growth I wanted. Organic soil is rich in nutrients but it must be capped with sand, gravel, something. Plant growth for me has been incredible without CO2. I do use flourish excel for carbon. The cost is what you make it.... things cost but depending on the size of the tank and the equipment you decide to use it doesn't have to break the bank. Check Craigs List. You could do a low light tank with plants like Java ferns, anubia, bolbitus (african fern), and such which wouldn't require an expensive light system or even a fancy substrate. Plants are going to cost but many you can propagate and you can fill in areas over time. Do some research and you might be pleasantly surprized. Hope this helps.

Plants also have the added benefits of offering shelter to fish and inverts plus keeping your nitrates in check.

Planted tanks are definetly worth it all! Depending on how far you go it can cost alot more or a little less than a non-planted tank. Most live plants are cheaper than fake decor (at least the stuff I have seen is) It also helps keep the water clean :)
Now if you get low light plants you might not have to buy a new light but medium or high lighters need upgraded lights usually.

Back
Top Bottom