Planted tank with Angelfish...Tank mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcass

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had multiple aquariums for several years so not a newbie. However, I have just set up my first planted freshwater tank and introduced a pair of Gold Veiled Angels. The tank is a 54-gallon quarter round with canister filter. What other fish would make good tank mates? Preferably I would like larger fish with good color if possible. Most of my experience is with African cichlids and South Americans specifically Gold Severum, Jack Dempsey, Frontosa, etc. So this new tank is definitely expanding my experience with freshwater tanks.

Cool, you could get some rummy nose tetras in there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Think rainbowfish would be perfect if you are looking for medium sized with a lot of color and activity.

Those are good suggestions and not off the table but I am trying to think of larger tank mates. For instance, Gold Severum. Has anyone every tried those with Angels?

Severum get quite large. I thought them off the table for only a 54g.

I've read that to be the smallest size tank for a severum. I haven't found anything regarding it's tank mates though other than they can be a community fish. I have had a sevrum before and kep him in a 76 gallon with a Jack Dempsey. For the first few weeks that was an iffy match up but they got used to each other.

I tend to hold higher standards sometimes ☺ 55 is the minimum for green/gold so I won't stop you. I have a green in my 55 but it's just a baby.

I went ahead and three a school of black skirted tetras that I had in another tank. After doing a little more research, keying in on larger fish, I'm thinking about adding s Severum. My biggest concern then though isn't so much the Angels, but the plants being uprooted.

A quarter oval 54 isn't the same as a 4 ft 55 gallon. Personally I wouldn't include a severum, not only do they get so big, they can be real jerks. My dominant green sev was a bad man....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A quarter oval 54 isn't the same as a 4 ft 55 gallon. Personally I wouldn't include a severum, not only do they get so big, they can be real jerks. My dominant green sev was a bad man....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good advice and noted! I had considered that. I'm no stranger to Severums. I had an 11" Gold not to long ago and yes they need room. I had him in a 76 gallon half round. My thoughts were to get a much smaller one and then down the road, as he grows, upgrade the tank. That would give me the excuse to upgrade ;)

Back
Top Bottom