Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have some java moss looking to possibly get more live plants that are hardy like it... I really dont want to buy a new light or anything right now so if there is anything out there that can grow under my conditions let me know

xfactor6699 said:
So I have some java moss looking to possibly get more live plants that are hardy like it... I really dont want to buy a new light or anything right now so if there is anything out there that can grow under my conditions let me know

Go to plantgeek.net and look under low light plants, there's lots to choose from.

Its a 55g with a regular over head light, my fish are
10 neon tetras
6 bleeding heart tetra
5 guppies
2 powder blue gourami
2 cockatoo cichlids (breeding pair)

so it has the two 15w tubes that come standard on most 55g tanks? If thats the case, I thnk java moss is going to be about the only thing you'll be able to keep alive, MAYBE anubias, but it would be tough IMO

I just checked that web site it helps a lot there is like 10 plants or more I found

As I said before, I don't think you'll be able to sustain much more than java moss with that lighting. There are a ton of low light plants, but even low light plants require more lighting than that.

There's Anacharis that grows in most any light condition, java fern, hornwort, and crypts are a few low light plants.

If you take some aluminum foil and wrap it on you light fixtures reflector (which is most likely white plastic) carefully so as few wrinkles as possible develope, that will increase the light strike into your tank.

If you have a glass or plactic tank cover that the lights rest on, keeping it clean helps a lot too.

My light is a 28w dry light 10kk each bulb I think...i just read the bulb lol

xfactor6699 said:
My light is a 28w dry light 10kk

Is that 2x 28w? If so you can do low, med low and maybe push the envelope on some easier med plants. My best suggestion is start slow, don't buy the 15.99 plants and see if you like it. Once you're hooked, then better lighting, substrate and everything else will be a whole new adventure for you :).

Do I have to change gravel or is gravel cool with most those kinda plants

Regular substrate is fine. I use it for my plants and they're doing great! I have low light plants (java moss, java fern, sword plants and Cabomba)

xfactor6699 said:
Sweet I've got java moss what would be suggested for a first timer

The list I put up earlier plus any Vals, cabomba (it's med/high, but I grow it in med), moss balls are cool (bought 2, starting a new one) and wisteria. Check plantgeek and see what looks cool to you. The bigger issue is what you can get at LFS or online. I'm not a big fan of plants or fish in the mail, but many here order online with great results.

Like I said, IME if you start slow see what works and go from there it works better. Last year I didn't have a single plant, now all my tanks are planted :D. It's addictive and the fishies love it too, so it's a symbiotic relationship that works for us.

xfactor6699 said:
Does plantgeek tell what the plant does for the tank

Not sure what you mean by doing for the tank? Plants use no3 and co2, put out o2. They use nutrients in the substrate and water column. My fish like to eat some of them, like the Anacharis and wisteria. Some they just like to pull up so I have to rescape often (which is cool with me lol)

One more I like is onions, I have one with leaf shoots get almost a foot long :).

Back
Top Bottom