Plants...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sniperfreak

Aquarium Advice Regular
As many of you know, I've been working on an Amazon biotope tank, and I've been having difficulty finding the correct plants. Most of them are biotope correct (Cabomba [green and purple], tropical hornwort[introduced], bacopa,anacharis, duckweed and swords), but I've been forced to add a few that are not native (wisteria, aponogeton, and Java fern), will this take anything away from the biotope, and can I even call it an "Amazon Biotope" now?

Well, I understand how difficult it can be to make a true biotope. Technically your tank wouldn't be a true biotope which really should recreate the habitat i.e. substrate, lighting, plants, and fish are all true to the area being recreated. However, I don't think it is that big of a deal; you might try ordering online to get some Amazonian plants. I wouldn't call it a true biotope since it has SE Asian plants, but at least you made an attempt and that is better than nothing!

I thought about the online route, but the $30-$45 shipping charges kinda turned me off. Hoping to find more of the Cabomba and some mayaca or narrow leaf Anacharis to replace the wisteria and apons, but the java fern is rooted to my driftwood, and thus here to stay :(, and my Cardinal tetras have really taken a liking to the Wisteria :( :( .

Have you looked on here or posted any adds? jetajockey and SM/HN1 are great people to look to if you need some plants and they won't charge an arm and a leg for shipping. (y) Here is SM/HN1's latest thread for plants: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f25/plants-plants-plants-12-8-2011-a-182441.html

I am sure they would be willing to help you out, and it looks like they have some Swords, Hornwort, and other Amazonian plants. Good luck!

contacted SM/HN1, still haven't heard anything back, and my hornwort came from jetajockey.

Well, I believe they have been off here for a while with X-mas and New Years I would assume. They will probably get back on here and get back to filling orders before too long.

Back
Top Bottom