Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Plants...

As many of you know, I've been working on an Amazon biotope tank, and I've been having difficulty finding the correct plants. Most of them are biotope correct (Cabomba [green and purple], tropical hornwort[introduced], bacopa,anacharis, duckweed and swords), but I've been forced to add a few that are not native (wisteria, aponogeton, and Java fern), will this take anything away from the biotope, and can I even call it an "Amazon Biotope" now?

Old 01-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I understand how difficult it can be to make a true biotope. Technically your tank wouldn't be a true biotope which really should recreate the habitat i.e. substrate, lighting, plants, and fish are all true to the area being recreated. However, I don't think it is that big of a deal; you might try ordering online to get some Amazonian plants. I wouldn't call it a true biotope since it has SE Asian plants, but at least you made an attempt and that is better than nothing!

Old 01-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I thought about the online route, but the $30-$45 shipping charges kinda turned me off. Hoping to find more of the Cabomba and some mayaca or narrow leaf Anacharis to replace the wisteria and apons, but the java fern is rooted to my driftwood, and thus here to stay , and my Cardinal tetras have really taken a liking to the Wisteria .
Old 01-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you looked on here or posted any adds? jetajockey and SM/HN1 are great people to look to if you need some plants and they won't charge an arm and a leg for shipping. Here is SM/HN1's latest thread for plants: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...-a-182441.html

I am sure they would be willing to help you out, and it looks like they have some Swords, Hornwort, and other Amazonian plants. Good luck!
Old 01-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

contacted SM/HN1, still haven't heard anything back, and my hornwort came from jetajockey.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I believe they have been off here for a while with X-mas and New Years I would assume. They will probably get back on here and get back to filling orders before too long.

Tags
plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com