Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishboy791

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have set up a breeding aquarium or my german blue rams and I was wondering what plants I should use, the temp is 82-84 and the ph is 6 ammonia is very low, it is a 10 gallon and I have two rocks in it already, I was wondering what mix of plants will make it better looking to the eye and more calming to my fish, Thankyou

Ammonia should be zero.. A cycled tank should have absolutely zero ammonia and zero nitrites. Presence of either of these will kill ram fry and probably kill the parents too if not make them very sick. Rams are very sensitive fish and need a cycled and established aquarium. Also I believe even a single ram needs at least a 20 gallon tank.
But in regards to plants I would recommend a fast growing plant like water sprite. It is great at keeping nitrates low which GBRs are sensitive to. Anacharis is also a good one for this, but it likes lower temps.
Anubias, java ferns, and moss are also all good low maintenance plants, but because they are slow growers they don't do much in the way of absorbing nitrates.

It's I's zero, but do they need a soil cause I have rocks but there smooth.

It's I's zero, but do they need a soil cause I have rocks but there smooth.

No, none of the plants I listed need soil. Anubias, java ferns, and moss need to be tied onto a rock or piece of wood.
Your pH is pretty low, I know it's in the recommended range for most fish, but beneficial bacteria activity stops at a pH of 6. You might look into adding some crushed coral to buffer it up to 6.5 or 7.

Back
Top Bottom