Plants and lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fizzler

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have live plants so I can only have my light in for 8 hours a day. I like to view my fish so I’ve left it on longer and I had a algae issue. Is there any kind of light I can turn on after the 8 hours of light for my plants that won’t cause any issues so I can still view my fish ?

Get a programmable light fitting like a fluval aquasky. That way you can have a light on for a longer period but a lower light output. I have mine on full for about 5 hours, but there is enough light either side of that peak period to still enjoy my fish throughout the day.20201127_160217.jpg

Seconding Aiken Drum's advice. There are some really nice programmable lights on the market now, and some of them are even inexpensive.

Another trick is to build in an hour or two mid-day with lights off. Since I added a regular rest period into my lighting schedule, I can have lighting on longer overall, but algae problems have dropped off dramatically.

Back
Top Bottom