Plants in driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tigroscr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have some drift wood in my 75 g with a rather large hole in it, could I plant something in it? What type of plant would be good and how could I make it stay without floating to top of tank? Any ideas appreciated :)

Hi Tig I tie down anubias to drift wood all the time. Not really sure of other plants. U can use fishing line to tie down or sewing string .

How about java fern? People use it on driftwood all the time, tie it down as previous.

will the moss eventually adhere itself to the wood, or as it grows, does it have to tied down further? As far as the hole.... is it closed, if its open, an amazon sword may fit through it down to the gravel below, they have long stems

Java moss, java fern, and anubias all work great on dw, as well as any other kind o moss

+1 ... all three look really nice when the roots take hold on DW. I'm seriously considering tying some anubias to mine.

Ozydego - Java moss will adhere to DW ... I've read the way to do is wrap fine mesh netting around the moss and DW and eventually the moss grows over the netting and spreads through out the DW .... may take some time however.

I'm thinking of actually doing half my DW with anubias, the other half with moss. Only thing keeping me is I also like the look of the bare DW. Ugh ... may have to get a second DW.

Tigro, how big is the hole, would a potted plant fit, cause you could prolly take the plastic shell off and stuff the plant in, it wouldnt be able to grow a lot though if the roots cant expand

Ozydego said:
Tigro, how big is the hole, would a potted plant fit, cause you could prolly take the plastic shell off and stuff the plant in, it wouldnt be able to grow a lot though if the roots cant expand

Yeah, I don't think the hole would be large enough for potted plant and your right the roots would probably not be able to expand, might try some of the moss people on here recommended. But that's a really good idea! :)

Back
Top Bottom