Platies eating my snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elle2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone ever had their apple snails eaten by their other fish? A few of my platies have always harassed my apple snails a little, but the snails would usually just curl up for a bit and then everything would be fine.

But suddenly many of my platies have started really attacking (picking at/nipping) my snails. On the weekend one of my large snails died and I couldn't be sure if it was from being attacked, or if the platies sensed it was dying and that's why the picking became worse.

But now they are going after my other ones. Its really sad. Obviously I will try to find homes for my snails if it continues (although I have so many) but I was wondering if anyone knows why this might be happening and if I can do anything to stop it?

I have Platies and Mystery Snails and have never seen any aggression whatsoever. Are they being fed enough?

I have never heard of platies doing that. It is strange. I'd try putting a zucchini or a cuke in the tank to see if the veggies distract your platies from your snails.

I have swordtails and the love to munch on my snails. I've never heard of it before either, but finally someone else is experiencing it now. I solved it by getting more snails. When I would only have one, they would kill it. Now that I have 5, the swordtails don't pick on any one too much.

Actually yes, the swordtail I used to have was initially the only one that ever picked on my snails, but recently the platies started and with too much enthusiasm. Maybe there is something particularly tastey about these snails.

I have many many snails, probably over 100 as my apple snails bred and I didn't get to the clutch fast enough. But mostly they seem to be harassing the large breading pair ie. the one that died and now the one that remains.

I will try the veggies. And maybe I am not feeding enough, though my suspicion is that I usually over feed. I have been only feeding once a day and my tank is way over capacity with young platies and all the snails and everyone else, so maybe I will start feeding more frequently.

Back
Top Bottom