Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2007, 10:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Platies eating my snails?

Has anyone ever had their apple snails eaten by their other fish? A few of my platies have always harassed my apple snails a little, but the snails would usually just curl up for a bit and then everything would be fine.

But suddenly many of my platies have started really attacking (picking at/nipping) my snails. On the weekend one of my large snails died and I couldn't be sure if it was from being attacked, or if the platies sensed it was dying and that's why the picking became worse.

But now they are going after my other ones. Its really sad. Obviously I will try to find homes for my snails if it continues (although I have so many) but I was wondering if anyone knows why this might be happening and if I can do anything to stop it?

Old 01-23-2007, 10:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have Platies and Mystery Snails and have never seen any aggression whatsoever. Are they being fed enough?

Old 01-23-2007, 10:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I have never heard of platies doing that. It is strange. I'd try putting a zucchini or a cuke in the tank to see if the veggies distract your platies from your snails.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have swordtails and the love to munch on my snails. I've never heard of it before either, but finally someone else is experiencing it now. I solved it by getting more snails. When I would only have one, they would kill it. Now that I have 5, the swordtails don't pick on any one too much.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Actually yes, the swordtail I used to have was initially the only one that ever picked on my snails, but recently the platies started and with too much enthusiasm. Maybe there is something particularly tastey about these snails.

I have many many snails, probably over 100 as my apple snails bred and I didn't get to the clutch fast enough. But mostly they seem to be harassing the large breading pair ie. the one that died and now the one that remains.

I will try the veggies. And maybe I am not feeding enough, though my suspicion is that I usually over feed. I have been only feeding once a day and my tank is way over capacity with young platies and all the snails and everyone else, so maybe I will start feeding more frequently.

Tags
eat, eating, platies, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com