Platty behaviour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John h

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have one male and five female platties in my tank.

The male charges and chases off one of the females whenever they get close. He only does it to the one female and swims with the others no problems.

Is this some sort of mating thing or does he hate this one female?

Also one of the females (not the one being chased) spends a lot of time hiding or sitting by herself, not swimming around much. She does come out every now and then and swims around with the others, but then goes back. She gets into things at feeding time so she has an appetite. What could be wrong?

I have 3 platies, 2 red wag I got at first, 1 male and 1 female and then another is small, I take it a young one and is yellow I only bought it 2 days ago, it is female. Does anyone know if the male will mate with the yellow female when it's bigger or does it only like the other red one?

Also i've just noticed today the female red one looks fat and seems to be hiding in a corner, is she pregnant?

I think your one thats hiding in the corner may be pregnant too John as that what mines is doing today. I just noticed today that she looks a bit fat and I assume she is pregnant?

First make your own thead please i will only answer to johns wuestions not yours
I think it might be because he is more attracted to her than the other fish is she the prettist one?

I'm not sure if the one that is getting picked on would make the Freshwater Playboy Fin Edition or not

I have one male and five female platties in my tank.

The male charges and chases off one of the females whenever they get close. He only does it to the one female and swims with the others no problems.

Is this some sort of mating thing or does he hate this one female?

Also one of the females (not the one being chased) spends a lot of time hiding or sitting by herself, not swimming around much. She does come out every now and then and swims around with the others, but then goes back. She gets into things at feeding time so she has an appetite. What could be wrong?

What size tank are they in? It is most likely completely normal behavior. Give them clean water and good food and the babies will come. lol

I have 3 platies, 2 red wag I got at first, 1 male and 1 female and then another is small, I take it a young one and is yellow I only bought it 2 days ago, it is female. Does anyone know if the male will mate with the yellow female when it's bigger or does it only like the other red one?

Also i've just noticed today the female red one looks fat and seems to be hiding in a corner, is she pregnant?

I think your one thats hiding in the corner may be pregnant too John as that what mines is doing today. I just noticed today that she looks a bit fat and I assume she is pregnant?

They will all intermate. They don't care about color. I would recommend that you think about QTing in the future though. They will display a gravid spot (google is your friend) if they are "pregnant".

First make your own thead please i will only answer to johns wuestions not yours
I think it might be because he is more attracted to her than the other fish is she the prettist one?

No need to be rude. You refused to answer a question, but asked one? Cmon...

I'm not sure if the one that is getting picked on would make the Freshwater Playboy Fin Edition or not

LOL.... eye of the beholder...

The lone female platy that was acting strange died :(. I guess she was sick.

The male is still hitting on the one female as before.

IMO looks like an aggressive behavior towards this female, the tank looks really nice by the way and with plenty of hiding spaces.
I don't know what to tell you, but to wait a little, as long as she is eaten well she will be fine, a little stressed maybe.

Back
Top Bottom