platy acting funny afterwater change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyric112209

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had a cycled tank for about a week, I was cycling it with 4 neon tetras, i added 2 platties and one guppy a few days ago .today I just did a 40% water change and cleaned the tank because I've been getting some nasty black/ bluegreen algae..
Now one of my platties is acting weird, hiding, looking like he can't control his swimming. He was fine before the water change....

Also he is a bumblebee platy...his color isn't as bright like his platy friend....why would this happen??

I'm at a loss here....my fish just died after a water change

Me too! Idk why he died! A water change shouldn't kill a fish as far as I know...I added prime to the replacement water

I am not sure. Was the temp of the water good? Have you tested your water in your tank? Might not hurt to test your tap water either.

Calypso77 said:
I am not sure. Was the temp of the water good? Have you tested your water in your tank? Might not hurt to test your tap water either.

Water temp was fine, I just tested tank water this morning everything was fine...I've tested my tap in the past and it does have some ammonia and nitrites that is why I added prime to the water...all my other fish are fine

Well ya you should be adding prime no matter what but there can be problems that arise in tap water, I have had that here before. You may want to test to be sure.

What do you mean

You should always use Prime when doing water changes, regardless if there is anything in your water or not.

I dose the tank before, then after adding new water when doing water changes. Our water has nothing harmful in it, but it certainly does not mean it wont in the future :). There could also be chlorine in the water as well, which Prime neutralizes.

If you did a gravel stir, perhaps you loosened something that was in the gravel resting that caused stress / harm to the fish. I had this happen when I first got my tank, I stirred the gravel and some bubbles came out of it and it left a putrid smell in the air and the tank, all the fish were at the top gasping. Luckily they all survived.

Hmm...well thanks for response...I.called the petstore and they will replace the fish I lost

He also said that when they do water changes at the store they always lose a few fish..

That's what I was thinking too....doesn't sound right losing fish after every water change

If you lost a fish after every water change - people would be losing fish left and right, and it would not really be an option. Water changes are done to HELP the fish and their ecosystem, not hurt them.

Mine LOVE water changes, my tiger barbs swim back and forth through the stream as I am pouring the water in :).

Back
Top Bottom