Platy acting really fishy.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chronos313

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a platy(female) acting really odd, she's hiding, staying low to the gravel and is really skittish. Like she bolts if I walk near the tank. She's in my 30 gallon. My other female is in my ten gallon by herself and I'm thinking she's gonna drop anytime. She's all over the place darting back and forth and really fast. And she is skittish also. Any thoughts? The female in my ten gallon has a big abdomen. The female in my 30 has a very straight unfounded abdomen. Am I right to think fry will show soon or are they acting differently then those that are carrying?

Chronos313 said:
I have a platy(female) acting really odd, she's hiding, staying low to the gravel and is really skittish. Like she bolts if I walk near the tank. She's in my 30 gallon. My other female is in my ten gallon by herself and I'm thinking she's gonna drop anytime. She's all over the place darting back and forth and really fast. And she is skittish also. Any thoughts? The female in my ten gallon has a big abdomen. The female in my 30 has a very straight unfounded abdomen. Am I right to think fry will show soon or are they acting differently then those that are carrying?

Platies should be acting fishy-I'd be worried if they aren't lol kidding.

Did you recent add her to the tank? She still could be getting used to the environment.

She's been in the 30 gallon for a few days now. Mind you she was in my ten gallon but I moved her back that could be stressing her out. But I'm really wondering about the girl in my ten gallon. I mean she's huge. And it's so hard to tell if there's a gravid spot. I can see her stomach cuz she's sorta clear in that area and her belly looks to be very low from her body. And she was big when I got her from my lfs

Chronos313 said:
She's been in the 30 gallon for a few days now. Mind you she was in my ten gallon but I moved her back that could be stressing her out. But I'm really wondering about the girl in my ten gallon. I mean she's huge. And it's so hard to tell if there's a gravid spot. I can see her stomach cuz she's sorta clear in that area and her belly looks to be very low from her body. And she was big when I got her from my lfs

Sorry, I totally missed the fry part.

I don't have a lot if experienc with breeding or Platy fry, but id say except some fry soon. I'm not sure what normal pregnant behavior is though. Maybe someone else will chime in with more experience.

pics finally

1st one if of the girly in my 30 gal who is flat in the stomach but showing behaviours of shyness and hovering, the other pic is of big momma and i swear shes carrying but being stubborn. i have a breeder net just in case she drops fry also. my last batch of fry from an unkown momma got eaten by my tetras as i got ready for work:(

Okay now I'm seeing little black dots in my female twin bars abdomen near the anal fin. I think she's holding also. Anyone else see that before?

Chronos313 said:
Okay now I'm seeing little black dots in my female twin bars abdomen near the anal fin. I think she's holding also. Anyone else see that before?

That sounds like a very pregnant fish :) I would expect fry soon if you can see the black dots :) her stomach will kind of square off a day or two before she drops. She'll look like this \_/ instead of this U.
If she is in with males, or has been with a male within the last six months, I'd just assume she's pregnant :)

Guess it's time to move her into the breeding tank. As for my other female named big momma she just don't wanna drop or show signs. Stubborn fishy

Back
Top Bottom