Platy fry refusing to eat now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
For the past few days he's had difficulty eating food (chases flakes around but can't catch them, ignores flakes) and I notice he will peck at the gravel and plants though so at least I know he's willing to eat

Well today I fed him first bites and a tiny amount of crushed up flakes and today he doesn't even bother chasing them. He completely ignores them and does his own thing.

He is in a filtered 2.5 gallon until I move him to the 10 gallon, he is alone in his 2.5 as well besides the company of a small unknown snail (not pond snail)

Ok now he's kind of lingering around the top but he hasn't eaten anything yet

Ok try this, boil a egg keep the yolk and do what you want with the white. But get a little container and pit some water in their and then pit the yolk in and crush it into a liquid. Then give him a drop or 2, about 4 times a day!! Hope i helped!!

Ps. You can look it up on YouTube.

Mojo3251 said:
Ok try this, boil a egg keep the yolk and do what you want with the white. But get a little container and pit some water in their and then pit the yolk in and crush it into a liquid. Then give him a drop or 2, about 4 times a day!! Hope i helped!!

Ps. You can look it up on YouTube.

How about boiled lettuce? I read that helps too

I just hope he eats the flakes sooner or later cause I can't keep feeding him supermarket food!

He'll be fine just keep doing flakes don't sweat it

Have you been doing water changes? Just because it's only a fry and a snail that doesn't mean they don't need fresh water. Have you tested the tank water?

If I have trouble getting fry to eat, I use just a tiny drop of garlic juice mixed into their food. Doesn't take much. The egg yolk was a very good suggestion, I feed my fry egg yolk with some garlic juice and vitamins every third day. They also get other foods.

DragonFish71 said:
Have you been doing water changes? Just because it's only a fry and a snail that doesn't mean they don't need fresh water. Have you tested the tank water?

If I have trouble getting fry to eat, I use just a tiny drop of garlic juice mixed into their food. Doesn't take much. The egg yolk was a very good suggestion, I feed my fry egg yolk with some garlic juice and vitamins every third day. They also get other foods.

He just moved out of a 1 gallon filtered to a 2.5 gallon filtered yesterday, but back when he was in his 1 gallon I did weekly water changes

PLEASE ANSWER! HE'S ACTING WEIRD

now he's kind of hanging around the top and rapidly opening and closing his mouth please help I don't know what to do. he's completely ignoring everything i give him and i can't buy eggs til tomorrow (it's midnight right now) and i am not sure if he'll make it overnight!

He's also stuck to the surface his dorsal fin is skimming the surface which is never a good sign with any fish

I think he ate a little cause he isn't shaking his mouth anymore and he's exploring around the bottom again ;)

Thank god :0

Will still try the egg idea DEFINITELY

That sounds more like he's not getting enough air. Our fry have an air stone in with them along with a heater to keep them from getting too cold and lethargic.

Tommyboy13 said:
That sounds more like he's not getting enough air. Our fry have an air stone in with them along with a heater to keep them from getting too cold and lethargic.

He's fine now

If you do the egg yolk "which is not preferred for livebearer fry" do a pwc afterwards. It will sour the water quickly. Keep offering crushed flakes, clean water, oxygenated, and temp. around 78°f and he should be fine.:)

Cichlid Kid said:
If you do the egg yolk "which is not preferred for livebearer fry" do a pwc afterwards. It will sour the water quickly. Keep offering crushed flakes, clean water, oxygenated, and temp. around 78°f and he should be fine.:)

Yeh he's fine now! Thanks btw I fed him first bites that stuff WORKS

Back
Top Bottom