Platy problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdude25

Aquarium Advice Freak
I Have the 2 new platys (1 m, 1 fm) that I got 3 days ago, in my 10 gallon temporary quarantine tank along with 4 mystery snails. They appear to be in perfect health.
The male Platy occasionally chases the female trying to mate with her. He does get a bit over-zealous at times, and it stresses her.
Here's my question:
Should I move the male Platy or female to my main tank? Or move one of my other females to the quarantine to give my new female a break?
I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for reading,
-Fishdude25

don't get another female...if he has them in a quarantine tank then he's treating them for something...that's the only reason to have fish in a quarantine tank...get a divider so you can separate them for the mean time...when it comes to platys and mollies always have two females for every male...when you have two females the male isn't constantly chasing one...instead he takes turns on the females and gives one a break while he's bothering the other one

I have them in quarantine because I bought them 3 days ago from petsmart, and don't want them to transmit potential diseases to my main tank. In my main tank I have 1 male and 4 female platys. So, what should I do?

I would just add a divider...wouldn't want to add the new fish to your already established tank and risk any type of infection and I wouldn't add any fish to your quarantine tank from your established tank because that could risk your fish catching anything if your new fish have something...just add a divider

there isnt a sick fish in the quarantine tank.
just put them all in the main tank and the problem is solved.
I know a great lfs that they dont sell any sick fish, they keep it there until the fish is fine again. If where you bought yours they do sell sick fish, they just suck.

Do I really need a divider? Where would I get one? I'm only going to have them in there for 2-3 weeks. Or could I put some plants in there and break up the line of sight?

if you don't want to take a chance with your female being stressed then get a divider...its up to you

You can make one from a scrap piece of Plexiglass. Cut to size and deill holes for water flow.

I saw an interesting DIY idea on here about making a divider. Get some plastic mesh from a craft store (the stuff used for cross stitch) and some of those plastic report covers. This might cost $10 at the very highest. Cut the mesh to the size of the tank so that it fits flush inside the tank, then slide the plastic pieces that hold the report covers in place onto the edges of it to hold the sides upright, and then put it in the tank. Put the bottom of it into the gravel to hold it steady and the plastic pieces should be braced against the walls of the tank. You should make it taller than the water level so they can't jump over. If you want, you can secure it with some aquarium safe silicone if you want to make a permanent divider. Hope that helps!

there you go...looks like you got your self a project...hope it goes well...let me know how it comes out if you decide to do it

Hey guys, I have another question.
The next time I can get to the petstore is 2 or 3 days. Will the female cope with the stress that long? Or should I move the male to my main tank?
Thanks!
-Fishdude25

I would just keep an eye on her, and if it gets bad move one of them. I would move the male if you have more females in your other tank, so that the female can rest up alone in the QT for a couple days.

It does get pretty bad sometimes, my male is ruthless. I have 4 females in my main tank, so I probably will move the male in a few days, but if it gets worse, I will move him sooner.
Thanks guys for all your advice!
-Fishdude25

Back
Top Bottom