Please anyone!! Is this normal??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheyennamarie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I dont know what is going on!!
Okay let me start, everynight when it gets dark and I get ready for bed, my Betta fish (Red Eyes Black Dragon) swims to the top of the tank in one of the corners, and bites at the glass & top layer of the water. It keeps me up all night!!
Please why is he doing that?? And lately he has gotten louder!
Also, I clean his tank every three to four days, but no matter how good i clean it, there is a thin layer of slime at the top, but he seems to be fine, he is active and eats like a total pig. But also when I look in his tank in the morning, there is bubbles EVERYWHERE!!
(He is in a two gallon bowl, I dont have a filter bc I cant find a mini one anywhere, and I dont have enough room for a 5gallon, but he is very clean and happy and he is a very socal fish)
PLEASE HELP ASAP!! Thank you

Last edited:
I sadly have no camera so I cannot take a picture, but he is Red and Black, with a little shade of light blue on his front fins. I named him Red Eyes Black Dragon after the Yugioh card because of his colors. He is a crown tail betta.
I really need to know what is going on with him. I cant find anything about fish biting at the corners at the top of the water. It is really scaring me because I dont want anything to happen to him.
Please anyone help

I just fed him and he stopped for a little while but now he is back to doing it again. He does it as soon as the light goes out and its dark. I am veryy concerned about him so please anyone reply to this. I really am begging for an answer.

I guess it is late.. (I told you he wakes me up in the middle of the night. He is THAT loud!!!) Please to everyone who reads this please please reply. I want to hear everything about what it might be. He really isnt old, I have only had him for a few months. I used to have betta fish all the time when I was younger, so I do know a decent amount of facts about them, all except this! Thank you so much everyone and I will check back first thing in the morning.

He is just i think sexually ready for a female and is making a bubble nest. It also means he is very happy and healthy but yes it is very loud to listen to

They make noises like that when they make nests??
They bite at the water to make them too???
What about the slime?? What is that?? It appears every few days and then I need to clean his tank and scrub the sides bc it sticks. It is just a thin layer and like I said it doesnt bother him, but it bothers me lol

Thank you so much for telling me. I was really worried something was wrong with him.

what they said

they do breath air and the slime is a lack of water movement in the tank, atleast get an airstone for him, whenever you clean the tank, DONT clean it all the way and remove all the water

Back
Top Bottom