Please Guide Me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GreenXSI

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

Glad to have joined a forum with lots of aquarium enthusiasts.

I'm a beginner with aquariums and I recently bought a 16 gallon aquarium intended for some freshwater fishes.

The shopkeeper had given me some starter fishes for my aquarium which includes;

4 x Pink Danios (they actually look orangy)
2 x Black Mollies
2 x Silver Angelfishes
3 x Glass Fishes (was actually 4, but 1 died within two hours of placing in aquarium)
1 x Gourami (biggest in the aquarium measuring about 2 inches mouth to tail end)
2 x Platies
2 x Neon Tetras (smallest in the aquarium measuring about less than an inch, were actually 4 but 1 died in 4 hours of keeping in aquarium)

My questions are :

1) Given the size of fishes and their numbers, is the tank overcrowded?

2) Initially I got an internal water filter and pump (the common black rectangular box type) which would shoot bubbles horizontally. Later I was told that, for the fishes that I bought it would be better if I used only the filter part of that thing and he asked me to pull out a small pipe on it so it would not create bubbles anymore, and I was given another air pump alone which was an external pump but a small pipe came into the aquarium floor with a round stone at the end that sent small bubbles up. They said this one would suit the fishes better as the filters pump created stronger current and would make difficult for fishes to swim. Now I use both of them, but when I placed my hand near the filter pump inside, I could feel it a pressure hitting me meaning it was still making it difficult for fishes to swim in front of it. Is this fine or should I use something else instead of both?

3) Are all the fishes mentioned compatible with each other?

4) How often should I clean the existing filter?

5) How often should I change water and by how much percent?

Awaiting replies, thanks!

Hi
Welcome to you new addition lol
First question is how long has your tank been setup?
I wouldn't add any more fish the usual rule of thumb is 1 fish per gallon.
The filter casing can be cleaned when you are doing a water change but the sponges and filter media should just be sloshed around in the water you are taking out, just to get any big partials out. You don't want to upset your good bacteria that will grow in the filter media.
I have a tank the Sam size as yours I do a 1/3 water change per week it has worked for me but I depends how long you have had your tank running. Hope that helps a bit :)

I don't think your fish would have been to upset with just your normal filter but the setup you have now is also good as there are some fish that do prefer weaker current

For your first question, yes. Your tank is definitely overcrowded. The two angelfish alone will grow to a size that need a larger tank.
Second question, considering you do get a bigger tank, that filter may still be okay to use. The more bubbles the better in my opinion, and your fish will not swim in front of the current, and if they do it will probably be for fun. There is nothing wrong with using the original filter.
You will need watch the smaller tetras in the tank with the Angels and guaramis. They're semi-aggressive to smaller fish.
Most filters ask that you change your carbon every 2-3 weeks. However, if you can maintain your tank well, then you can go up to 2-3 months without changing it. And water changes are the same. If you notice your fish are less active or not eating right or if your water begins to look a little green or cloudy. Then a 50% water change is okay. And considering you have so many fish, a 10% water change every two weeks will be best for them. But I am asking you, get a larger tank, or less fish. They will not make it and will slowly die off to leave only the tetras or any other smaller fish; if the gaurami or Angels don't eat them first.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thats a lot of fish for a relatively small tank. You sure on that 16 gallons? (not all too common of a size). Its even more fish for a new tank that is not yet cycled.

Sounds like you're pretty new to this and some of your answers dont have an easy answer. Like water changes. You need to do as many, and as large, as your aquarium requires. Confusing right? I say it this way, as at the beginning your filters (and the surfaces in the aquarium) dont yet have the beneficial bacteria colonizing on them which is required to process waste (nitrification cycle is ammonia (toxic to fish) getting converted to nitrite (also toxic to fish) getting converted to nitrate (less toxic to fish until the levels rise towards unacceptable numbers). So at the beginning you'll likely need to be doing larger water changes almost daily (if not more). Ideally, you'll want a test kit so you can test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. After a couple of weeks/months the bacteria colonies will be doing their thing and you should no longer see ammonia or nitrite. Then you can space out your water changes more and keep testing to see whats needed.

Some things to keep in mind as well are that tetras like to be in larger groups. Usually no less than 6. Also the mollies and platies are live bearers. Meaning if you have a male and a female, expect them to keep populating an already over crowded tank!

I have a 60x30x30 it's about 15g 64l. I cycled it with 9 neons, I had to do almost daily 1/3 to a half water change. It took 9 weeks for it to stabilise before I could gradually add more fish. All 9 neons made it through the process. The biggest fish in my tank is a male betta and my 2 electric blue rams. I only have 12 fish, 2 snails and some cherry shrimp. I was only adding new fish/inverts ever few months. Everything has been settled for a while I've had it for 2 years now and a 1/3 water change a week has kept the water quality consistent. I could probably do less but it works for me. Learning the nitrogen cycle is invaluable and the best investment was definitely a master test kit, there's a very small volume of water in the tank and with only 9 neons in it the ammonia and nitrite spikes were still crazy

Yeah, way too many fish. I would start with 4-6 fish depending on size. Seems like your tank is not cycled so you will have to do a lot of water changes. I would go for 20% every day for the first three weeks. It would be good to return most of the fish to the shop if possible and let the tank run for a few weeks before you add more. Otherwise, I suspect fish will start to die in about two weeks from ammonia overload.

Hi,

Glad to have joined a forum with lots of aquarium enthusiasts.

I'm a beginner with aquariums and I recently bought a 16 gallon aquarium intended for some freshwater fishes.

The shopkeeper had given me some starter fishes for my aquarium which includes;

4 x Pink Danios (they actually look orangy)

2 x Black Mollies

2 x Silver Angelfishes

3 x Glass Fishes (was actually 4, but 1 died within two hours of placing in aquarium)

1 x Gourami (biggest in the aquarium measuring about 2 inches mouth to tail end)

2 x Platies

2 x Neon Tetras (smallest in the aquarium measuring about less than an inch, were actually 4 but 1 died in 4 hours of keeping in aquarium)

My questions are :

1) Given the size of fishes and their numbers, is the tank overcrowded?

2) Initially I got an internal water filter and pump (the common black rectangular box type) which would shoot bubbles horizontally. Later I was told that, for the fishes that I bought it would be better if I used only the filter part of that thing and he asked me to pull out a small pipe on it so it would not create bubbles anymore, and I was given another air pump alone which was an external pump but a small pipe came into the aquarium floor with a round stone at the end that sent small bubbles up. They said this one would suit the fishes better as the filters pump created stronger current and would make difficult for fishes to swim. Now I use both of them, but when I placed my hand near the filter pump inside, I could feel it a pressure hitting me meaning it was still making it difficult for fishes to swim in front of it. Is this fine or should I use something else instead of both?

3) Are all the fishes mentioned compatible with each other?

4) How often should I clean the existing filter?

5) How often should I change water and by how much percent?

Awaiting replies, thanks!

1) yes, the tank is definitely overcrowded

2) I'm not quite sure what filter you have, but I would recommend an HOB (Hang on back)

3) The fish are compatible now, but there is a chance that the neons will get eaten by the Angels and gourami when they grow.

4) Depends on the filter

5) I would do water changes at least once a week and at least 50%

Do you know what kind of gourami you have? Most get too large for your tank, but there are a few that will fit.
I would definitely rehome the Angels as the will outgrow your tank. I would also rehome the glass fish, although they may do fine.

The danios and tetras should be in a group of six minimum but preferably more. So in that case I would pick one or the other and get more of them. If it was my tank I would pick the neons because I think they are a better fit for this tank but it is up to you.

The platies and mollies will probably have babies if you have females, so be prepared/expecting that.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Also the one inch per gallon rule is outdated and really shouldn't be used.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

I would recommend searching aqadvisor on the internet and plugging you tank into there.

Fishobsessed7

Also the one inch per gallon rule is outdated and really shouldn't be used.

Fishobsessed7

Sorry it was ment to say 1" fish per gallon, does that not apply any more? What's the best method?

Thank you, Sara

There really isn't a general method as different fish produce different amounts of waste, some are more active than others, etc.

For example, if you have a tetra and Molly the same size, the Molly will produce a lot more waste.
A 2.5 inch zebra danio is recommended a 20 long for more swimming because they are fast and need space. But, a 2.5 inches platy which is a lot slower and uses both vertical and horizontal space is fine in a 10 gallon.

Fishobsessed7

Hi. Welcome to the exciting and amazing world of fresh water aquariums. I am new to this too. I would recommend doing a lot of research on fresh water tanks. The site I used to get started that I found helpful was:

Aquarium Information Center | Tetra Aquarium

Its best to let your tank "cycle" with no fish and if your doing plants, then let the tank cycle with those for a bit before adding fish. I let my tank cycle for a week and a half before I added my first fish (probably should of waited longer). Then slowly intro. a few fish each week or every other week.

Its totally important to test your water every day. I purchased the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-19541-E...459944236&sr=8-2&keywords=ammonia+test+strips

Amazon.com : Tetra 19543 EasyStrips 6-in-1 Test Strips, 100-Count : Aquarium Test Kits : Pet Supplies

These work really well for beginners.

1)It sounds like you do have too many fish in your tank. I would recommend also returning them if possible. Your ammonia levels are probably going to peak, so get ready to do water changes daily. Adding plants will help.

2) I wouldn't worry about the filter current. I have a Top Fin 20 hang over the back pump, that creates a good current and the fish enjoy playing in it. Just observe your fish and see how they react. If they are having a hard time swimming throughout the tank, then I would be concerned.

3) As far as fish compatibility, no idea. I was interested in getting Glofish, so I just researched what was compatible.

4 - 6) I would refer to the first link I posted.

Be aware that your tank chemistry is going to be all over the place for the first few months. Don't freak out. This is normal.

Its hard to get your pH to be exactly at 7, so if you can keep it constant near 7 then your good (mine hovers around 7.4). Adding driftwood, increasing O2, increasing water current (you got the filter for that) and adding plants will help with this.

If you experience high nitirite levels (anything other than 0), then your looking at water changes twice a day (about a third or half the tank) till your readings go back to 0. High Nitrite levels are probably do to over feeding (Been there. It was a week of hell, but I got through it).

Sorry so long. Just wanted to share what I have learned so far. I totally freaked when my chemistry levels were all over the place and started researching like crazy.

Good luck and enjoy the experience.

Hi, and welcome. I jumped in head first with no research and got my 29 gallon tank kit from Petsmart. Boy did they steer me wrong!! Told me nothing about cycling my tank before adding a bunch of fish. Sold me a bunch of bottles of stuff I didn't need. I found that the "Test Stripes" are not accurate. The wonderful experts here told me I only need 2 things (with just fish in the tank. No plants). 1). API Master Liquid Test Kit sold at most local pet stores. 2). Prime water conditioner. If they won't let you return any of the fish. Most Petco stores have a donation tank. I know you hate the idea of having to lose any of them, but it's for the best. Everyone you do a water change you need to treat the whole tank with the Prime. Not just the amount of water your replacing. If your levels are high you can add more Prime. The bottle will tell you what the maximum amount you can use. I would get a piece of paper and keep track of your levels each time you do a water change. Don't be surprised if you don't get a case of brown algae in your tank. It happens and most new set ups. It's disgusting looking but nothing to worry about. I would only use your lights for a maximum of eight hour a day, and definitely do not overfeed your fish. They are filthy baggers and act like they're starving all the time. Lol I hope I've gave you some good tips and wish you the best of luck! I've learned a lot reading the articles on this website.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I second not using test strips. They aren't at all accurate.

Fishobsessed7

Back
Top Bottom