PLEASE Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think I might have a fungus in my tank. One of my Neon Dwarfs died today and after a thorough inspection found a white cottony mass within the gravel. I tested water and parameters are all good and then did a 40% pwc and syphoned the mass out. Could this be a fungus? Are there different types and what do they look like? If it is a fungus what should I do?

The cottony mass in the gravel sounds like uneaten food. Maybe try cutting down on feeding a little. If your water parameters are good I would say that the fish loss and the mass in the gravel are unrelated.

Could not take picture, didn't have camera at time. When I found fish it still had color. The fish and the mass were on opposite ends of the tank. I then found another small one in a plant. I don't want to medicate but also don't want an epidemic.

There's nothing here that would indicate the need for medication IMO. It really sounds like uneaten food. If your fish have a fungal infection, that's going to show up on the fish themselves and not in substrate.

Thanks all! I stopped feeding from once a day to once every other day. Maybe that was the problem after all. Whew.

Back
Top Bottom