Please help!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBouchard

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just tested my ammonia it is off the chart!! What do I do?? I have been battling high ammonia for about month and a half and got it down for about a week, and in the past 3 weeks no fish have died. I went and got 4 sword tail females tonight thinking it was okay, and just tested after we got them. The only thing I have added as an extra precaution is Brazilian Waterweed. I have never had ammonia this high!! What do I do?? It is to late for me to take the girls back and I know I can't leave them in the bag. HELP!

Do several large water changes every hour until the ammonia is below .25ppm. Do daily water changes or as many and as often as you need to do to keep your ammonia at .25ppm or less and stop adding fish until your tank is cycled. Search the forum and its articles about fish-in cycling and follow the instructions you find there. Adding any more fish to your I cycled tank is just introducing them to undue stress and can cause more deaths. Once you have a fully cycled tank with readings of zero ammonia, zero nitrites, and a stable small amount of nitrate then add a few fish at a time and wait at least a week between additions.

If you are using prime you can add a stronger dose with water changes to detox the ammonia that is present. It doesn't get rid of ammonia, so it won't harm your cycle, but it will make the ammonia (and nitrites) non-toxic to the fish. Otherwise, as Zimmanski said, lots and lots of water changes to keep the water column clean and oxygenated, and lots and lots of patience :)

Back
Top Bottom