Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Please help!

So here's my problem.

I'm new to keeping tanks and am very wary to use chemicals. I live in a rural area and my well water hardness is off the charts. This alone wouldn't be a problem but my ph is way too high because of it. My LFS insisted I buy PH to maintain fish health and it did nothing. The only advice the bottle/directions/website give me are repeat dose but don't exceed a change in ph more then .5 a day. I don't want to keep dumping chems in my tank, but minerals in my water neutralize anything I put In. Please any advice is welcome

Old 07-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wouldn't recommend trying to change your ph in any way, especially with chemicals. What is your pH?

Old 07-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

It's 8.4 and I wouldn't except I'm keeping piranha. I have come to love the cubby guys and I just want them healthy as possible
Old 07-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces11 View Post
It's 8.4 and I wouldn't except I'm keeping piranha. I have come to love the cubby guys and I just want them healthy as possible
What size tank? Have they been in this pH for a while? If they are adjusted to these water conditions I would leave them be. It's better steady than changing. Also, well water has a lot of buffers that keep the pH from changing. So it isn't very easy. Do you have a water softener? I live on well water and we have a sodium water softener. Very bad for aquariums. I use re constituted RO now.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

No, no water softener. I have four juveniles in a 90 gallon. They are growing super fast and seem healthy. Only one thing bugs me and I'm not sure if its what the species does on it's on, or if there is a problem. When they are "resting" sometimes it seems like they are floating funny. Not sideways but almost diagonal. No signs of disease or lethargy tho.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hmm. Sounds weird haha. How long have you had em? I wouldn't worry about the pH. If they are living fine in it and adapted then its more stress on them to change it.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Haha I know! I can't find any info on it either! Lol they swim fine usually anyways. Maybe I'm being paranoid haha. But thanks for the advice! I will leave it be
Old 07-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I've had them about 3 months
Old 07-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah they should be fine. Fish stores just wanna make money haha
Old 07-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Your smart not to use chemicals especially for trying to change ph. Those chemicals are temporary fixes and you have to keep using them so stores/manufacturers make more money. As already stated if the fish are acclimated to your water and ph then don't fix what isn't broken.

As for the fish many fish have distinctive resting positions so if all do it most likely it is very normal. Many don't know loaches rest on their sides so when you see them and not know this is normal people often think they are dead until they touch them.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Haha thank you so much! That definitely puts my mind at ease. Like I said I'm new to this but hope to aspire to become a pro aquarist some day!
Old 07-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

ya, I thought we had to get our pH closer to 7 as well but the fish just adapt to the pH generally. One thing that does help is a good piece of driftwood. This can help soften the water and reduce the pH.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I was thinking about that! It's just so expensive to buy at the store. I wish I new of a place to collect it safely from nature. I wouldn't know what I was looking for tho I'm afraid

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com