Please help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seattlerain23

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new to this board but I'm desperately trying to find help. My fish are dying. I have a 65 gallon freshwater aquarium with mollies, platies and blue rams. Yesterday my husband did a 15% water change and this morning we woke up with dead fish and super cloudy water. We checked all the levels and everything is were it is suppose to be and the filter a fluval 306 canister seems to be working. The water won't clear and the fish look like they can't breath. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :(

How long has your tank been setup? Did you test your ph, ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels. I would do an immediate 50% water change. It sounds like your tank isn't cycled.

The tank is 4 years old. All the levels are within normal. It is truly bizarre.

4 year old tank wouldn't have new tank syndrome.... I've heard of old tank syndrome, but that usually doesn't happen when scheduled routine maintenance is performed...

What have your water changes been like prior- ie type of water conditioner, % changed, how did the fish react afterwards?

4 year old tank wouldn't have new tank syndrome.... I've heard of old tank syndrome, but that usually doesn't happen when scheduled routine maintenance is performed...

Sometimes an old tank can become uncycled if the good filter bacteria die off.

I would check for something recently introduced such as inadvertent toxins (air fresheners, cleaning products) or changes in the water source (some treatment centers switch from chlorine to chloramine certain times of the year).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was just telling my husband that because we live in an area close to lots of vegetable fields and I'm wondering if something wasn't in the water when he did the change. He has been doing water changes every week alternating weeks with cleaning the gravel. We haven't had a problem before. We tested the nitrate, nitrite and ammonia levels and everything seems to be where it is suppose to be.

My husband worries that if he does another water change it will make it worse

You said your fish look like they can't breathe do you have enough surface agitation to allow for gas exchange.

Back
Top Bottom