Please help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stellyboo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My betta is acting strange! He’s always by the heater and doesn’t move at all, we try to get him to move but he refuses, I don’t even think he ate last feeding day. My tank is 3 gallon half moon tank. We have everything but we are waiting for my filter pump to be delivered. He has white spots all over him now as if they are blisters... I’m so worried. My other Betta isn’t like that at all. The water in the tank is warm too so I don’t know why he’s acting weird..... here are some pics[you might need to up the brightness]IMG_2011.jpg

He has ich. You need to turn the heater up to about 85 degrees. Do 50% water changes 3 times a day. Get a siphoning type tool to clean out the tank. You can use a turkey baster if you need something quick. I personally add a little aquarium salt to the tank but this is controversial. If you do add salt put 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. This will help with the bettas skin during this IMO. There is also some ich medications on the market that you can get. I'm positive someone on here has better info on a good ich medication. I got away from using meds for ich several years ago. You need to immediately turn the heat up and begin water changes.

... oh wow is there a reason why?

Could be a million reasons .
Ich is common and easy to treat.
Meds will work faster which is important at this time of infection.
The smallest Kordon Rid ich plus will last you.
Only 1ml. per 2.5 /3 g so very little is needed.
What ever you choose start ASAP as tomorrow may be to late.

I'll ad that the heat method does work ,but it does so by speeding up the life cycle of the parasite . All of them ,young and old .
It can take 4-9 days easy to work . The betta does not look like it will appreciate the ich getting stronger for the next 3+ days.. This method works best when the issue is diagnosed early enough that the infection is not overwhelming already....

I'll ad that the heat method does work ,but it does so by speeding up the life cycle of the parasite . All of them ,young and old .
It can take 4-9 days easy to work . The betta does not look like it will appreciate the ich getting stronger for the next 3+ days.. This method works best when the issue is diagnosed early enough that the infection is not overwhelming already....

Is it contagious to other fish if we move them in different tanks

He has ich. You need to turn the heater up to about 85 degrees. Do 50% water changes 3 times a day. Get a siphoning type tool to clean out the tank. You can use a turkey baster if you need something quick. I personally add a little aquarium salt to the tank but this is controversial. If you do add salt put 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. This will help with the bettas skin during this IMO. There is also some ich medications on the market that you can get. I'm positive someone on here has better info on a good ich medication. I got away from using meds for ich several years ago. You need to immediately turn the heat up and begin water changes.

I agree with King %100....heat and salt, but definitely heat. Ick can't take heat so when the spores fall off the body to get ready to reproduce MORE of the ick, the heat kills them. Good luck! (y)

Bettas are notorious for ich/ick. It looks too far along for the heat/salt method. Can you isolate him in a "hospital" tank and medicate him in there? Good hand washing and rinsing is imperative as everyone has said it is highly contagious. I have pulled a Betta through ich in the past but it was early stage. Hope he makes it.

Bettas are notorious for ich/ick. It looks too far along for the heat/salt method. Can you isolate him in a "hospital" tank and medicate him in there? Good hand washing and rinsing is imperative as everyone has said it is highly contagious. I have pulled a Betta through ich in the past but it was early stage. Hope he makes it.

Sadly he did not, he was unresponsive after a while and it hurt my heart... we had to flush him away but he will always be loved.

Back
Top Bottom