Please help! Angel fish problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cuppycakes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a tank with 2 angel fish, amongst other fish, however the angel fish are fighting and now one has a injured eye and mouth and is not eating and is looking very sorry for themselves.. what can I do?
The tank is 65 gallons.

Thanks!!!:thanks:

Attachments

• CC0F7231-3BD0-4CD8-AEEA-85717CC8B2B8.jpg
    CC0F7231-3BD0-4CD8-AEEA-85717CC8B2B8.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 28
I have a tank with 2 angel fish, amongst other fish, however the angel fish are fighting and now one has a injured eye and mouth and is not eating and is looking very sorry for themselves.. what can I do?
The tank is 65 gallons.

Please ignore the snails… it’s 11pm and they are rife!!

The tank is 65 gallons.

My poor angel

Attachments

• 828D122B-69AC-4428-964F-A62C97114A26.jpg
    828D122B-69AC-4428-964F-A62C97114A26.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 29
Angelfish are far from angelic. They are extremely territorial.

2 males will often not tolerate each other and the more aggressive fish will try to kill the other or just harass it until the other fish just gives up on life. A male and a female will fight at mating time and this can lead to injuries, especially if the mating doesnt go so well and one blames the other. Even 2 females can go at each other. I had 1m/2f and one female tried to kill the other to break up the pair and get the male. If 2 fish dont like each other it isnt going to end well.

Seperate the fish. Get the injured fish into a quarantine tank. Clean water and a stressfree environment will give your fish the best chance of recovery. Using something like melafix or aquarium salt will help prevent infection setting in. Longer term, if your fish recovers, its unlikely those fish can live together and will need rehoming.

Trying another angelfish might work. If you had 2 males then getting a female is likely to work for instance. If your fish is just a jerk however, leaving it on its own will probably be for the best. Only way to see is to try.

Hi mine did that they were locking mouths and pushing each other i found out that that is how they mate could it be that ?

Thank you for the replies. I have no idea if they are male and female so don’t know if they could be mating but I have had them for a while and they have not procreated…

I decided to do a new set up in the tank today to give them more places to hide and explore in the hope they stop fighting as I can’t move one into my other tank as it has very small fish in. So fingers crossed!!!

Took some money and effort today but attached is the new tank set up! Wish my angels luck as I really don’t want to but another tank or rehome one!

Attachments

• 74648F7C-FE70-4B0A-A96E-EE4BEC3CAD65.jpg
    74648F7C-FE70-4B0A-A96E-EE4BEC3CAD65.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 28
Regardless i would move that injured fish from the tank until its healed up.

This is my other tank.. it’s small and I’m scared that it will eat my baby mollies or attack the little angel fish as even injured it’s still being aggressive and then I will end up with multiple injured fishies

Attachments

• 682256EC-1170-4489-B159-A17F38C43CAF.jpg
    682256EC-1170-4489-B159-A17F38C43CAF.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
It needs to be on its own. Something about 5 to 10g, a tote box will do if you dont have a spare small tank. Get a heater and an airstone. A few decorations or cut up some pvc pipe so can hide and feel comfortable.

Change half the water daily. Add in some aquarium salt to help prevent infection. Let it heal up away from other fish.

Back
Top Bottom