Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Question Please HELP! Betta injury question

Hello Everyone,

I rescued an Elephant Ear Betta from Petco 3 days ago. I say rescued because he had been at the store for over a week and had one blind eye which means no one was going to pay 20 bucks for him. I introduced him to a 20 gallon long tank, previously cycled (I moved my other fish to new digs). Water conditions are normal (0 ammo, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrate, ph 7.6, temp 78)
I have a penguin 150 on the tank with a sponge at the intake and a sponge at the top to deflect the current. I acclimated him slowly and he seemed like he was in heaven.

One thing I did not think of was that I had a rough aquarium decoration in the tank. First night went well, no issues. Something happen during night 2. I woke up this morning with an injured betta. One side is missing scales. The other side is also injured and he is not using his fun at all. He sits at the bottom of the tank. He did eat a couple bites - I waited until he floated at the top and tricked him into eating.

I am trying to attach pictures of the injury.

I immediately removed the stupid decoration. My question is: is there anything I can do to help him heal? I see no signs of bacterial infection but I am not an expert. This is my first injured fish in 5 years of having aquarium. That makes me lucky but also quite clueless. Tanks!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	187516  

Old 07-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

More pictures

Here is the injured fin he is not using
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	70
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	187517  

Old 07-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Final pic

Any and all help appreciated!!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	60
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	187518  
Old 07-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

the best thing to do would be daily water changes for at least two weeks do you have a smaller tank you could put the seeded filter in? it would make things much easier
Old 07-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you! I have a small 1.5 gallon I could use. Do you agree it's an injury and not an infection? Thanks again!
Old 07-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

his eye looks kind of cloudy i think it might be both. either way daily water changes for a minimum of two weeks is whats recommended for infections and injuries
Old 07-22-2013, 01:50 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks again aquandrew. I have been unsuccessful at catching him to place him in the smaller tank. I feel like I'm just stressing him out. I will keep up with the water changes and will keep you updated.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks again for your help. I did my best, but Cogburn died just now. His infection got generalized and I could not help him . I really appreciate the help.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:44 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20GL View Post
Thanks again for your help. I did my best, but Cogburn died just now. His infection got generalized and I could not help him . I really appreciate the help.
I'm so sorry If that happens again ever, I would do daily water changes (as stated above) and use API stress coat to condition the water.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:25 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platiesareawesome View Post

I'm so sorry If that happens again ever, I would do daily water changes (as stated above) and use API stress coat to condition the water.
Thank you! I think what happened was that his infection was long standing (cloudy eye) and I could have treated it if I knew what I was looking at 3 days ago. At least he had fun in the 20 gallon for a day and was comfortable when he died - instead of dying in a pot at petco. I just wish I could have saved him. He was so pretty.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:27 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20GL View Post

Thank you! I think what happened was that his infection was long standing (cloudy eye) and I could have treated it if I knew what I was looking at 3 days ago. At least he had fun in the 20 gallon for a day and was comfortable when he died - instead of dying in a pot at petco. I just wish I could have saved him. He was so pretty.
I don't understand why they can't at least have small FILTERED one gallon tanks at pet stores for the bettas instead of those tiny filthy cups. I think it's just horrible …
Old 07-23-2013, 01:49 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platiesareawesome View Post

I don't understand why they can't at least have small FILTERED one gallon tanks at pet stores for the bettas instead of those tiny filthy cups. I think it's just horrible …
Agreed they would probably sell more since they would be a little healthier too

Tags
betta, injury, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com