Please help me figure out my levels! PLEASE!*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenorchid

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am sooo sick of doing these 50% water changes in my 55 gallon tank.

I am doing a fish-in cycle (not by choice - long story) It's been a week and first 4 days my tank also had a ich treatment with API super ich cure.

I've been doing 50% water changes ever since about 1 a day.

I added quick start API today and prime and that aloe stuff with my water change and my levels are the same as every other day....

PH - 7.9
Ammonia - about -0.4
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate -10

Any advice?

Thank you!!!!!

Well heres the problem, they are needed in a fish in cycle and the unfortunate part is 55gallon 50% daily changes are going to be tiring but the more you do the quicker and easier theyll become. Nitrite hasnt even started to appear yet and if you want to keep the fish safe, they have to be done. Sorry i know this isnt what you wanted to hear.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just hang in there, if you're really into the fish than seeing them not suffer/die will get you through the cycle, keep up with the wc,s! start looking into fish you want to have in the tank, find something you have to have and It will motivate you!

Well heres the problem, they are needed in a fish in cycle and the unfortunate part is 55gallon 50% daily changes are going to be tiring but the more you do the quicker and easier theyll become. Nitrite hasnt even started to appear yet and if you want to keep the fish safe, they have to be done. Sorry i know this isnt what you wanted to hear.

So am I doing the right thing??? - should I do another tomorrow morn and another after lunch?

Your definitely doing the right thing and should be proud of yourself for having the motivation to do it the way you are! Out of interest, what do you have in the tank?

I would do them whenever the ammonia reads above 0.25 unfortunately Ideally that could be twice daily depending on what fish and again this takes dedication to do it as most wouldnt! The more the better.

Fishless cycling IS the way forward and if you have to cycle a tank in the future or recommend cycling to a friend, take this route.

Last edited:
thanks*
I received 2 fancy goldfish as a gift (XL chocolate oranda and a medium red fantail) unlike most I think fancy goldfish are beautiful with their long flowing tails - I am doing an In-fish cycle not by choice - it's just how it had to be.... I'll feel terrible if they die because of me so i'm trying my best.

I am going to do a WC now and then I'll test this afternoon and prob do one again:banghead:

I have a 55 gallon with 2 - aquaclear 70 gallon filters running and two little air stones.

I also just read that our town water is chloramine (a combination of ammonia and chlorine) and on January 22nd they are switching to free chlorine. Which will have that chlorine smell. What will this do? and is this why I have ammonia?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom