Please help me figure out my tank level! PLEASE!*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenorchid

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am sooo sick of doing these 50% water changes in my 55 gallon tank.

I am doing a fish-in cycle (not by choice - long story) It's been a week and first 4 days my tank also had a ich treatment with API super ich cure.

I've been doing 50% water changes ever since about 1 a day.

I added quick start API today and prime and that aloe stuff with my water change and my levels are the same as every other day....

PH - 7.9
Ammonia - about -0.4
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate -10

Any advice?

Thank you!!!!!

Even though you have some nitrates, it looks like you still have the cycle to go through. You should see nitrites rise, then slowly the nitrates will rise and nitrites will start to go down. The Ich cure may have slowed your cycle progress. You are cycled when you see O ammo and nitrites with nitrates rising. If you could get ahold of some used filter media from someone who has an established tank, you could put it in your filter and cut the cycle time in half or less. OS.

Even though you have some nitrates, it looks like you still have the cycle to go through. You should see nitrites rise, then slowly the nitrates will rise and nitrites will start to go down. The Ich cure may have slowed your cycle progress. You are cycled when you see O ammo and nitrites with nitrates rising. If you could get ahold of some used filter media from someone who has an established tank, you could put it in your filter and cut the cycle time in half or less. OS.

We don't know anyone with a tank ..... and I also just found out our town water is chloramine (a combination of ammonia and chlorine) and on January 22nd they are switching to free chlorine. Which will give the chlorine smell.

What will this do? and is this why I have ammonia?
Thanks

If you add a good dechlorinator to your tap water, you will be ok. I would avoid the aloe vera stuff until after you have cycled just in case it may interfere. With fish in, you will get free ammonia needed to start the cycle. Test your tap water after letting it sit out and de-gas for about 12 hrs. It will tell you what your working baseline values are. OS.

Sadly, there's really not much you can do about the water changes unless you want to return fish. How much are you feeding daily? Also, what fish do you have in the tank?

Sadly, there's really not much you can do about the water changes unless you want to return fish. How much are you feeding daily? Also, what fish do you have in the tank?

I have an XL chocolate oranda and a medium red fantail goldfish

I'm feeding small feeding throughout the day of flakes, hikari frozen bloodworms and frozen daphnia and shelled peas.

How much of each do I give and how often? thanks

Have you thought about investing in a python or aqueon water changer? Invaluable tools....

Ok - i looked up these water changers..... not bad in price so which is the best and why? aqueon or python?

Back
Top Bottom