Please Help me ID This eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
This past weekend I went to the lfs and purchased 2 eels. They were labled Spiny Eeel. Since we already have 2 Spiny Peacock Eels in the tank, we thought that we'd give them two new friends :D Well, I got home and tried to look them up online to figure out what type of Spiny Eel they are, but I can't find anything that looks like them. On the end of their body they have spots just like the Peacock Eel except they have 6 or 7. They also have dark stripes down the sides. They look similar to the Peacock but their attitude is a lot different.

The Peacocks that we first had tend to burrow in the sand and they hardly ever come out. These new ones never burrow. It's like they have no interest in burrowing. They hang out all day long and I have yet to see them go in the sand. They actually love to hang from the greenery.

Can someone help me ID these Eels? I am desperate. I have been searching online for days but can't come across what they are.

The 2 eels that i saw in your photos looked like a peacock spiney eel and a regular spiney eel. Though i am sure someone will prove me wrong. It is just photos that i have found that look too simiar to them.

I thought that they were also Peacock Eels BUT all of the information that I have found online says that Peacock's have 3 (or 4, I can't remember it's 4:30 AM) spots on the end of their bodies. These eels have at least 6, possibly 7.

These are what is being sold as 'striped peacock eels' ...which are usually Macrognathus siamensis, but obviously this is a bit different...possibly a subspecies.

Thanks Toirtis. I don't think I am going to try to ID this eel completly. I'll just call it a Striped Peacock Eel.

I have two "peacock" eels
They both look VERY different... When I got my first peacock, he had 4 spots. He has grown about 2 inches since...and has gained one full spot, and another is forming. (he is also very social) Who knows...
The second one has four spots...and I NEVER see him. I will go looking for him, wont be able to find him for WEEKS... then swish... he will swim by. To this day I cant figure out where hes hiding. I have large gravel so I dont think its in there... I think he is staying the the giant amazon sword.
I think its still a peacock eel that you got, Like Toirtis said, I think you may have got a sub species. Enjoy them...!!

This yours?
macrognathus-aculeatus1.JPG

macrognathus-aculeatus
http://www.remix-net.co.jp/Nettaigyo/photo2004/list_other01/macrognathus-aculeatus1.JPG

Melody- the Peacock's that we originally had would burrow ALL the time. Only one of them would ever come out. The other we always think is dead beacuse we won't see him for weeks at a time then all of a sudden we'll see the head. The other peacock would come out quite often, just roaming around. The new ones we haven't seen burrow yet. They are alawys out, swimming around, hanging from the greenery.

Or perhaps,
Siamese Spiny Eel [Pictures]
Mastacembelus siamensis
SYN: Macrognathus siamensis
SIZE: To 16" (40 cm) in the wild, not usually more than 6" (15 cm) in captivity
PD: A fish with a "typical" eel-shape. The back is dark brown while the flanks are light brown. The belly is lighter and there is a fine yellow line extending from the snout to the caudal fin. Five eye-spots can be found on the dorsal and caudal fins.
SS: Other Mastacembelus and Aethiomastacembelus species.

HAB: Vegetation choked rivers in India, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Sumatra.
S: bottom
TANK: A tank measuring 24” (61 cm) with a volume of 20 gallons (75 L) is suggested for small fish. Follow recommendations under M. circumcinctus .
WATER: pH 6-8 (7.0), 6-25 dH (10), 73-82°F (23-28°C), some salt can be added if desired
SB: A peaceful fish ideal for a community tank having medium to large sized fishes. Often shy when first introduced, but becomes friendly once acclimated. Gets along well with own species as long as they are similar in size.
SC: Large Gouramis, Knifefish, Giant Danios, large Loaches, Loricarids, Eartheaters, Acaras, Cichlasomines, Asian Catfish
FOOD: Live; Tubifex, fish, brine shrimp, mosquito larvae, bloodworms, Cyclops.
SEX: Only distinguishable when mature-females plumper
B: Unsuccessful in captivity
BP: 10. Breeding has not been accomplished in aquaria.
R: This species has different color and pattern forms depending on its geographical population.
DC: 5. This species requires a diet of live foods
Found here,
http://www.mongabay.com/fish/mastacembelidae.htm

Yes friend u have a pecock eel. I got mine and he is exrteamly active! He swims around all day and loves to dig and play in the plants. The first week or so he never dug because he was so confused where the heck he was, but now every day after school hes dug under the sand! Hes abt 6" and hes still hard to see when he digs under. I hope hes doing ok!

Back
Top Bottom