Please help me save my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beneficial bacteria grows mainly in your filter, although will eventually grow on decorations and gravel, therefore a water change removes the excess ammonia and nitrites from the water column leaving 0.25ppm or less to be used by the bacteria. Clean water is the best thing you can do for your fish under any circumstances.

Okay, so I've seen a few people say this and it's something I didn't know. I know I'm supposed to leave my bio wheel alone, which I do, but I still throw out my filter probably once a month. That's something I should stop doing? Should I just rinse it instead?

That's what we're here for, I have learned so much here, it's amazing.

Just glad to pass knowledge on to someone else, maybe I'm the one with the question tomorrow. Lol

You rinse in tank water that you siphoned into a bucket to remove the debris (don't do it inside the tank) or you can mod the filter as per I said where the padding replaces the cartridge and you add media to the filter so that when the media has enough beneficial bacteria you can just change the cartridge and not have an issue, I will link 3 things for you, how to mod a bio wheel video, the media you want to get for the filter and also a secondary filter because biowheels aren't very good and I feel you need more filtration per your bio load of the fish, and yes you can take the bio wheel off and swish that lightly in the tank water you siphoned from the tank just to get the big chunks off or the wheel will stop spinning.

Also your levels shouldn't real in tge test kit after doing a water change because of the prime are you using a bucket for the water change or a python??

https://youtu.be/gVwNtrmwPew
da1ceb6e894c1b83935a9a75b5af7084.jpg
507896afb833e21c10b88c5175c4fa72.jpg

obviously don't change the pad right now as that would cycle the tank again but you can put the media into the filter so that it starts growing beneficial bacteria, the video doesn't show him using it but I believe it's the best cheapest possible thing to do instead if going out and getting a really high end hob (hang on back) filter like the one I posted.

Back
Top Bottom