Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-03-2017, 01:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Please ID this Pleco

Looking for an ID. Have had this guy for years. Got him at about 2" from petco for a little tank I had. He's now in my 220g and is about 9"-10" long. Hard to tell in the picture but the top tip of his tail fin is orange/red

Pretty sure he's just a leopard pleco but he just looks different then that and I know they can have very small differences between types.

Anyway. I know how hard it can be to ID plecos so good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2507.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	304761  

Old 11-03-2017, 08:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks to be a very healthy Sail Fin "Leopard" Pleco. I've seen the brilliantly colored tail edging
on them before. Sometimes the color spans the entire back edge of the tail fin. So many different variants.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
Looks to be a very healthy Sail Fin "Leopard" Pleco. I've seen the brilliantly colored tail edging
on them before. Sometimes the color spans the entire back edge of the tail fin. So many different variants.
Ty for the complement on his health. He is very active. Always swimming around the bottom of the tank and never hides. Majority of the time he is also displaying his fins. Think this is due to his tank mates. 3 gold vail angels, 7 young red line geophagus, 1 adult threadfin geophagus, 7 adult roseline barbs, silver Arowana. Lots of action and movement in the tank so he keeps on the move as well
Old 11-03-2017, 12:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I agree with the (L-83) Sailfin "leopard" ID. Looks to have about 13 rays on the dorsal fin meaning it's some type of Pterygoplichthys, as there are many different types beyond your "common" sailfin. He's still got a lot of growing to do! I've see specimens in the 20" range and if they are cared for properly can live for 20 years or better.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi View Post
I agree with the (L-83) Sailfin "leopard" ID. Looks to have about 13 rays on the dorsal fin meaning it's some type of Pterygoplichthys, as there are many different types beyond your "common" sailfin. He's still got a lot of growing to do! I've see specimens in the 20" range and if they are cared for properly can live for 20 years or better.
Thank you, didnt know anything about the rays on the dorsal fin. I am looking forward to him being that large honestly. when I got him he was about 2 inches and hes grown to 9ish over the last few years. I figured he would be in the ~2ft area when he was fully grown. Should be a good looking pleco at that size.
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plec, pleco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com