Please ID this snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squall

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found 2 of these guys in my 10 gallon planted tank. I'm thinking its ramshorn snail but I'm not sure. Can you please ID this little critter? Thanks.

image-1719974441.jpg

Jason7894561230 said:
Looks like a ram shorn to me too

I think I got them from the plants. They were really small a few days ago. Are they good or bad for my tank?

Squall said:
I think I got them from the plants. They were really small a few days ago. Are they good or bad for my tank?

They are considered pests I believe, they reproduce fairly quickly.

A way to reduce the population is to adjust the amount of waste food available for them to eat.

That's if you want them gone lol!:)

Scouser said:
They are considered pests I believe, they reproduce fairly quickly.

A way to reduce the population is to adjust the amount of waste food available for them to eat.

That's if you want them gone lol!:)

Thanks. I guess I could still pluck them out while they are only a couple of them before they have an outbreak or something.

Squall said:
Thanks. I guess I could still pluck them out while they are only a couple of them before they have an outbreak or something.

For every one you see you gotta expect 5-20 babies hiding out lol!

They just come from everywhere :/

Scouser said:

Thanks for the info.

Scouser said:

True! I had an influx of them until I realized I was overfeeding and they completely disappeared when I got better at feeding the right amounts. Months went by, no snails. Then I must have gotten lazy because bam! they reappeared! I think they must "hibernate" until more food for them shows up. Now I kinda appreciate them because they let me know when I need to cut back on feeding.

Is this ramshorn the same as a pond snail? This looks like what I have in my tank and I've been calling them pond snails.

Snails are not bad. They are simply a possible indicator of a problem (over-feeding, lack of maintenance, etc). I personally think every tank should be seeded with a pair of rams horns. If they over-populate, you at least know you have a problem to look at fixing at it won't be the simple presence of the snails. ;)

HN1 said:
Snails are not bad. They are simply a possible indicator of a problem (over-feeding, lack of maintenance, etc). I personally think every tank should be seeded with a pair of rams horns. If they over-populate, you at least know you have a problem to look at fixing at it won't be the simple presence of the snails. ;)

Good point, I don't agree with the pest label really, I need em to keep my assassin happy so they are more than welcome lol :)

HN1 said:

I have this tank running for about 3 weeks now. And the snails popped out a few days ago. They must have come from the plants I put in the tank. So you advice to keep these 2 that I have right now?

Back
Top Bottom