Please identify this algae!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ncc490

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is in my fathers tank and it has completely taken over the tank. It used to make the tank look cool but now its just a eye sore. He says its good algae and it wont harm anything but i just want to double check. Ill leave a pic below.

Attachments

• image-1540006033.jpg
    image-1540006033.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 96
This is in my fathers tank and it has completely taken over the tank. It used to make the tank look cool but now its just a eye sore. He says its good algae and it wont harm anything but i just want to double check. Ill leave a pic below.

It may not actually be algae as it can be colonies of bacteria that when they form create a pink or clear slime look covering surfaces.

Is it ok for the fish or should it be removed and if it needs to be removed how do u get rid of it? Also thanks for replying

It shouldn't hurt anything but if there is a lot of it, it can send the water cloudy. It can be removed by just scrapping it off and siphoning it out but it will often return.

That does not look right for cyanobacteria. This is what cyanobacteria looks like... http://bubblesaquarium.com/images/home%20mid_photo/Article%20on%20Algae/freshwater_algae.htm. Look at the top 3 pictures listed under blue green algae which cyanobacteria is often called.

Is the algae fuzzy and hard to scrape off? Is this a freshwater tank? How long are lights left on daily. When having algae issue you should only run your lights 6 hours and after that depending on the lights 8 is usually the max. What are the tanks nitrate and phosphate readings? How often are water changes done and how much is changed each time? Is the tank planted? If so do they use ferts? Do they use CO2 or liquid carbon.

I appears to be one of the odd colored black beard algaes. If it was cyanobacteria it would cover things in shiny looking sheets that would easily wipe off in sections. That algae appears to be growing on the rocks and decorations.

To be honest its not my tank i dont know the ph levels or nitrate or ammonia or anything. He doesnt clean it or do water changes at all and hes never tried to get rid of it so idk. Yes its a freshwater tank. I told him he needed to take care of it more and actually clean it like i do to mine but then again mines easier to manage i have just one jewel chiclid so yea.

He also got a pleco today to help clean up some of the tank.

A pleco won't eat that and honestly he's lucky he doesn't have a lot more issues in that tank. I pity his poor fish!

To be honest its not my tank i dont know the ph levels or nitrate or ammonia or anything. He doesnt clean it or do water changes at all and hes never tried to get rid of it so idk. Yes its a freshwater tank. I told him he needed to take care of it more and actually clean it like i do to mine but then again mines easier to manage i have just one jewel chiclid so yea.

Is there any chance he would let you have it? That tank really needs a clean and IMO, would do much better in your hands. It's also good that youre on a forum so you can get help along the way.

No its his but hes letting me control how to get rid of it. So ive been turning the lights off more often to see if that would help and i just did a water change on it. Im testing the water tomorrow

No its his but hes letting me control how to get rid of it. So ive been turning the lights off more often to see if that would help and i just did a water change on it. Im testing the water tomorrow

Why does he want it if he doesn't want to care for it? Lol

Back
Top Bottom