Please tell me something about Otos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ramrebel Clowns will get way too big and too fast for a 20g.

I don't even think I will put them in my 40g as they may outgrow!

Do ottos not eat algea wafers? I bet they do...vegetables are good idea too :)

I don't have ottos myself but I'm considering some with my new 40g.

Good luck!

I have known my otos to eat algae wafers, but not as consistently as cucumber/zuchinni. And it seems to depend on the oto. To often the algae wafer gets munched by other tank inhabitants before the otos show any interest in it. :roll:

I tried 2 otos also and managed to lose one within 2 weeks and the other about a week later. I too ended up getting a rubbernose pleco

I found one for $2.99 and he's been strong and healthy since I got him (quite a few months now)

I am hesitant about getting a pleco as I was told the minimum tank size should have a footprint of 20 inches. I am not ready to give up on the otos yet.

There is no way the oto will have a chance to get a wafer as all my fish love them. I may try getting a veggie clip and put zuchini on it. I put a big piece in a couple of days ago attached to the wood with a rubber band and no one touched it.

ok, since I have 1 clown and 1 oto, any advice?

secondly, is my oto eating my plant?

It's still snowing so I probably won't be able to get to the LFS for a couple of more days or so. My sole oto is much more active now and looks good. He doesn't seem to be touching the brown algae in the front so I will probably have to clean that. It's really ugly.

fwiw (Oto owner for ~1month), I drop nuked veggies into my tank almost every other day. Its consumed by all in the tank and I remove most of the vegetable the following afternoon. The tank has low algae but many algae eaters. Otos have bellies and seem to only be static for ten or fifteen minutes, max, from late afternoon to late evening.

That's the thing I forgot to mention....for best results live the veggie in the tank for 24-48 hours. It shouldn't mess up the water conditions and it will give the otos time to notice it's there and time to munch. :wink:

Ramrebel,
I'm not knowledgeable about loaches, but I know your oto would like 2 or 3 buddies. (looks like your tank can hold them fine) Your loach may be happier with buddies too.....but not sure about that. If so, you have plenty of room in your tank for a total of 3-4 otos and 3-4 loaches. (again, I'm not sure if loaches like company)

Blang,
I know you are tempted to clean off your brown algae, but if I were you, I would leave it there until you purchase the new otos. (Trust me, once they are settled and happy, they will obliterated that stuff faster than you can say "diatomes") :mrgreen:

Well, the second Oto died this evening. I unfortunately cleaned the front glass off before I got to see your message, smallfry. There is still slime buildup on the other parts of the tank and a little green algae on the decorations. Will that be enough for me to get a couple of Otos?

i have green algae oll over my decorations - that's why i'm getting 2 more otos

i also have an oto in an unheated 1.1 gal with my betta - they both seem pretty happpy

Blang,
Sorry to hear about your second oto. :cry:

Don't give up on otos yet.....this time just be very selective which ones you pick. (round bellies, active, large sized)

If you can, leave the tank light off for the first 24-48 hours. Assuming you buy them today, just let them settle in and eat the algae in your tank until Monday or so, then I'd put a piece of cucumber/zuchinni in there and leave it there until Tuesday pm or Wed am. (just a suggestion)

After that, see what their bellies look like and alter the veggies accordingly.

* For veggies the general rule is to blanche (partially cook) them first and remove any seeds. I just drop the veggie into a mug of water and microwave it for a minute or so.

I'm rooting for ya!! :D

why leave the tank light off?

i've had numerous otos and never had any mortality issues

they seem pretty hardy to me

am I just lucky?

I explained in a couple of the previous posts that otos in general seem to be freaked out by tank light - particularly when they are new. In fact, I leave tank lights off for 24 hours after buying ANY new fish (they just seem more calm with out a glaring light).

You are quite fortunate with otos! Unfortunately the capture/shipping/pet store process leaves most otos starving and prone to disease. IF you can keep otos alive in your tank for the first few weeks, then they ARE very hardy from then on.

OK I just got home with my two new otos. One of them thought his new home was a mess and went right to work. The other moved slowly on the ground. They are now both resting comfortably on the plants. This is a big difference from my first two.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that they make it.

Well these two guys are adorable. I don't want to get too excited but they are both working very hard keeping my 10 gallon cleaned. Last night they even ate some zuchini!

If I try broccoli, do they eat the leafy part also? I'm assuming I should also soften it in the microvave.

Back
Top Bottom