Pleco advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Badblood

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A couple weeks ago, I bought some new fish and they developed ick, I used some ick medicine, I followed the directions exactly but it killed all of my fish except my bushy-nosed pleco, it also wiped out all the algae in my tank as well.
The water seems stable now and my pleco is doing fine, I've been feeding him sinking algae tablets, is there anything else I can do for my pleco?
What is a good kind of algae tablet to feed him, I am giving him spirulina tablets right now since they were the only sinking ones I could find, is there a better one I could be feeding it?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

I feed mine algae wafers, and he loves them! Plecos also will eat such food as cucumbers, zuchinni, lettuce, etc. so that might be an option you want to explore too. I have only ever fed mine a cucumber slice here and there, but others may chime in who have fed theirs all kinds of things.

Also, you have since done a water change and all to get rid of the medicine right?Get the water clean and safe before you add anything else.

HTH

[center:b041bbca16] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Badblood! :n00b: [/center:b041bbca16]
If you removed the carbon from the filter, replace it so all the meds are removed from the tank. The meds will kill pretty much everything in the tank. Next time ich strikes, be prepared by reading the article on FW ich in the articles section. Treating a tank with high temps is better for the fish and the bacteria in the tank, which I would be concerned about. If your tank was already cycled, it may be cycling again due to the meds. Take a reading of the water parameters (ammonia, nitrites and nitrate) to see if your tank is re-cycling.
My plecos love zucchini, peas and algae wafers.

Zucchini is a favorite in my tank too, although the snails kind of take over on it :D

I take a test tube from an ammonia kit that was used up and fill it with gravel and water...tie that to the zucchini and sink it.

I take a test tube from an ammonia kit that was used up and fill it with gravel and water...tie that to the zucchini and sink it.
Good idea, I bought the suction cup clips from the LFS because my tank is deep.
I forgot to say to peel the peas!

Thanks for all your tips guys :)
I did a water change and added the filters back in after my fish had died. My water seems stable now, I think it did a mini cycle but my pleco was unaffected by it thankfully. I noticed the other day that my algae is starting to grow back, so I think that's a really good sign.
I'll have to try some of your zucchini tips, I didn't know they ate it, I'd like to offer him a variety in his diet.
My pleco thanks you :wink:

Badblood, when you are ready to add new fish, you should QT them first. If that's out of the question for you, be prepared to treat the tank for ich. Use the heat and salt method--it really works and the fish will be much happier.
Plecos are tough! I'm glad to hear yours is doing well. :D

Back
Top Bottom